- I walked to the library every week and brought home a dozen or so books to read.
- I dressed up as a dictionary for Halloween one year.
- When the local talk radio station switched to a Top 40 format, I called to complain.
- I fell in love with the song "Jack and Diane" by John Mellencamp in 1984 -- two years after it was released.
- Along with two other friends, I started an "exclusive" vocabulary club. We were the only members.
It immediately reminded me of Famous Recipe Fried Chicken. My family only ate Famous Recipe a few times a year. It was our go-to food for family reunions. Seeing the chicken reminded me of the last time I set foot in a Famous Recipe. I was probably about 12 years old.
We were on our way to the reunion. We stopped to get the chicken and I got out of the car to go into the restaurant with my mom.
I was wearing this way cool shirt that I'd gotten out of a hand-me-down bag from some relatives. It was polyester and looked like it was a quilted pattern of reds, yellows, blues. I remember plaid and some white flowers on it, I think. It buttoned down the front. I think I wore it with denim shorts. I LOVED that shirt.
That is, until we walked into the restaurant and walked up to the counter. The high schoolers working behind the counter were all trying very hard to stifle their laughter as they took our order. I didn't immediately see what they were laughing out. But then I saw it:
My new-to-me, colorful, patterned favorite shirt was really a Famous Recipe Chicken uniform!