Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, April 19, 2012

I'm no Erma Bombeck

But I'm going to aspire to be more like her over the next few days. I'm headed to the Erma Bombeck Writer's Workshop at the University of Dayton. I'm excited and terrified.

Usually when I go to conferences, I worry about what to wear, if I'll fit in with the other attendees, if there will be ample supply of Diet Coke. But this one is different.

Can you imagine, 300+ humor writers in one place? I have visions of people standing around one-upping each other with punch lines and witty retorts. Which of course leads to the "what if I'm not funny" anxiety.  Just to be sure, I've got my go-to stories -- you know, the ones that always get the laughs -- ready to use if necessary.

Honestly, what will they do if I'm not funny enough? Kick me out? As far as I can tell, there is no island vote to banish the unfunniest person. And out of 300 people, certainly there will be one or two people who might appreciate my brand of humor.

Ah...my brand. Several of the sessions are about developing your brand. Does the 4th Frog have a brand? If disorganized, stress-eating, overweight and desperately wants to be loved makes a brand, then yes, I guess so.

I'm planning to attend some sessions on keeping the creative juices flowing, so stick around. This blog could get GOOD. And there's a stand up comedy boot camp followed by a chance to perform at the closing dinner on Saturday night. Since I don't know anyone who'll be there, I'm thinking about giving it a try.  There's room for more fat & funny women in America, right?

I don't promise to come back another Erma Bombeck. But who knows? Erma probably didn't expect to end up hanging on refrigerators all over America.

7 comments:

Ellen aka Ellie said...

Don't worry about who you are, who you are is good!

Have fun and learn a lot!

ottmama said...

Be you & I promise to laugh at you!! See you this afternoon

Momza said...

Oh lucky you! I loved Erma's wit and wisdom. The place she occupied in the media has not been filled.
Have a great time, Amy!

kimybeee said...

you are wonderful - don't doubt yourself my friend!!!!!!

Michelle said...

You=awesome! Love your blog! Why else would I read it? :D

Unknown said...

I am jealous! I have heard so many good things about this get together. Enjoy!

Darlene http://adventuresofamiddleagemom.com said...

We went. We saw. We listened.
Now what?
Darlene