Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

When the school nurse calls

and tells you that your son said he hit his head on the floor in gym class and is now in the clinic, do you:

a.) Gush, "Oh my baby! I'll be right there."
b.) Ask rational questions about his current symptoms.
c.) Want to know if there were any witnesses to the alleged fall.

Does it make a difference if you are new to the school and the school nurse doesn't know you yet? So she doesn't know that you really are a good mom but that you are also wise to a kid who likes attention and dislikes school.

Does it make a difference that your child recently wrote a report on concussions and is reasonably well-versed in the symptoms of concussion?

To be fair, he did head straight for the couch when we got home and hasn't moved from that spot. The TV is not on and the iPod Touch is not within reach. We have an appointment at the doctor's office at 2pm. But I'm still a little skeptical.

Of course, I've been wrong before.

UPDATE: According to the pediatrician, the diagnosis is mild concussion. No gym or physical activity for one week. She said she didn't think that there was anything severe going on, but that he did get his bell rung pretty hard.

5 comments:

LisaT said...

definitely a B response. Sometimes my kids like the sympathy but are really fine. Let us know how he's doing.

Beth said...

LOL I guess you went with C and it wasn't well received? Hope it really is nothing.

Beth Zimmerman said...

Hope all is well now and he is feeling better!

kimybeee said...

i will tell you about our experience with the school nurse calling us last week on fb lol i bet i can top yours lol

Ellen aka Ellie said...

I have a boy in my class who tried to go to the nurse every day last year. Every. Day.

They reigned it in a little, and while tutoring him last year, I would say, "If you wind up in my room next year, you will NOT be going to the nurse."

Flash forward to the current year, and he's matured a bit. He has not asked to go to the nurse, not once.

This week, he fell at recess and was crying as he held his ribs. Not wanting him to rekindle his relationship with our school's med staff, I rubbed his back as he caught his breath, and I surreptitiously poked him in the ribs a few times to see if that would intensify his cries.

Nice, eh?

Two hours later, I sent him to the nurse just to make sure all was well. It seemed to be.

The next morning, no Z. Uh oh...he was later than usual. Turns out he was only late, and his mom had come to work in the LRC where I told her the story. She was cool with it.

So, you're not the only bad mom (in my case bad teacher) out there.