Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2015: Resolution Overload

 photo ResolutionOverload_zpsc36a0efe.jpgIf you've been on Facebook at all in the past week (and you know I have been), maybe you've noticed it. "It" being the over-abundance of self-improvement tips and blog posts and encouragements, all allegedly pointing us in the direction of a happier, healthier, smarter, more organized, more faithful, more prosperous New Year. "It" makes me want to pull the covers over my head and stay in 2014 forever.

There is nothing wrong with setting goals, dreaming big or choosing a life focus. The good Lord knows that my life could use some focus. But being inundated with suggestions about how to be a better me actually results in a more anxious me. Here are just a few of the things I could do to make 2015 the best. year. ever.

 photo a6731c8c-0fdb-4e78-ba9c-287d19361d43_zps95d55621.png

 photo e9c6fc78-0cc9-4c8e-b42d-1ac3a17a8ee6_zpsfcfedfff.png

 photo 0c662ed0-9a94-4911-87aa-288858e5c6b5_zpsda9884a6.png

 photo 073e9005-7cc8-4981-9ab8-34ae3ddb05ba_zps7b630761.png

I'm not devoid of goals or completely unwilling to make changes in my life. I think that the key to me succeeding at New Year's resolutions or life goals or whatever you want to call them is to decide what's really important to me and what activities will support that. 

#slaydebt photo Home-Page-Book-Graphic-text_zpsbfd4c6bb.png#slaydebt photo Home-Page-Book-Graphic-text_zpsbfd4c6bb.pngMy focus for 2015 is to get our home ready to sell. By this time next year, I want to be able to confidently put a "For Sale" sign in the yard.

So the two things I am committing myself to this year are completing the 52-Week Organized Home Challenge (done in just 15 minutes a day!) and reading my friend Cherie's new book, Slaying the Debt Dragon, which I'm counting on to inspire me to get our finances in sell-and-move-ready condition, too.

Sure, there are plenty of other goals I could set -- health goals, career goals, even recreational goals. But I know myself. I can overload myself with good intentions, then end up frustrated and stuck where I was in the first place because it was just all too much. Or I can choose one thing that I really want for 2015 and take a few concrete steps toward achieving that. The other thing I can do is ask for your help. Check in with me from time to time about my progress. Encourage me. Gently keep my feet to the fire.

Are you setting goals or making resolutions for 2015? If so, what are they? And how can I help you make 2015 the year you want it to be?

2 comments:

Ellen aka Ellie said...

My goals: pray, purge, pets, and plan

Pray--more
Purge--get rid of stuff
Pets--exercise and train them more
Plan--encompasses so much...graduate work, next career, where to live next, pay down debt, get through crazy to come at work...

Old Woman said...

Thanks for posting. One of my goals for 2015 is to declutter. I followed the like you shared for the 52 week challenge and actually used one of the tips today.