Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Critical Blood Shortage

We interrupt this blog to bring you the following Public Service Announcement:

The Central Indiana Regional Blood Center is reporting a critical blood shortage. I know this because when I drove past the main branch of the blood center today, there was a sign out front that said Critical Blood Shortage. Two blocks later, I heard an ad on the radio saying the same thing. Then about an hour later, the Blood Center called to ask if I could come in to donate.

I'm thinking God is trying to tell me something. So I went to www.donorpoint.org and made an appointment to donate. I gave myself two days to load up on iron-rich foods, because low iron often quashes my intention to donate.

Still unsure about whether to offer your arm as a pincushion? Ponder these:


Top 10 Reasons to Donate Blood


10. The blood center will never say "Sorry, you're not my type."

9. You might weigh 1/2 pound less after you donate, a whole pound if you sweat anxiously about the needle.

8. It's a great -- and free -- mini check-up of your blood pressure and cholesterol levels.

7. Your boss will look like an evil villian if s/he turns down your request for a longer lunch hour so you can donate blood.

6. You get snacks after you donate.

5. You might get other free stuff just for donating (donate this Thursday and get a free ticket to the Indiana State Fair!)

4. The blood draw-ers (I'm too lazy to look up phlebot....) are super nice.

3. The blood center is air conditioned -- a plus when the weather is 85+ and humid.

2. As CIRBC likes to say, you'll have someone's undying gratitude.

1. Know that saying, "if it feels good, do it?" Well GIVING feels REALLY good!


If you're not in Central Indiana, go to your own local blood center and give up some of the life-giving red stuff.

1 comments:

Sharon said...

Ha!
I like #9.
As for free stuff-they always seem to give orange juice.

I know there are great reasons to donate blood, but I admit, I don't do it. :( Is that terrible? Needles just creep me out.