Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, October 22, 2009

'Tis the season

Photobucket

Last night after I dropped Annie and her friends off at swim practice, I had the urge to go to Target and just wander the aisles to get ideas for Christmas gifts. I'm actually a few weeks behind, but I think I'm just busier this year so I haven't had as much time to consider it.

I spent most of my time in the toy department, though I only have one kid who really plays with toys. Robbie loves Legos and Bionicles, so I perused that aisle for quite some time. I was excited to find a Spongebob Lego set on clearance. That is until I saw the clearance price was still $33. I just can't bring myself to spend that much on Legos for a 6-year-old.

I've also started thinking about teacher gifts. I'm thinking about those layered cookies in a jar. I realize that those are so 1999, but I can make those at home pretty inexpensively.

Then this morning, I got an e-mail from BlackFriday.info. If you're into shopping on Black Friday, which I am!, visit BlackFriday.info for details about the deals that will be offered at most national chain stores.

My entire family will be celebrating Thanksgiving at my brother's house in Georgia. My sister-in-law has never done Black Friday shopping. I forwarded her the BlackFriday e-mail and she replied "Does this mean that I'll be getting up at the crack of dawn?"

To which I replied, "Oh honey, we'll be getting up before the crack of dawn -- Target opens at 4am!"

I think this weekend, I'll make up my Christmas shopping spreadsheet. I do have a few gifts already purchased. I need to talk to Mike about keeping it a low-key (read: frugal) Christmas. But that doesn't mean it can't be an organized one!

Have you started your holiday shopping? Will you shop on Black Friday? Is anyone finished yet?

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Christmas!

Yes, I've started my shopping. In fact, after today I may be almost finished for my boys.
This is the earliest I've ever shopped.

I do Black Friday shopping, but not so hard core yet.
This year my parents are coming up to spend Thanksgiving with us, so I don't know if I'll make it out too early.

Ideally I'd love my shopping to be done by the start of Advent. But some things you just can't get that far in advance.

I like cookie-in-a-jar. Is it 1999? LOL I didn't know.
We're probably going to do the whole fill a stocking w/ gifts, or a tin cookie container (usually meaning some sweets, a scented candle, and a giftcard).

Your 6yo-any experience w/ the Imaginext stuff? We have a few of those toys, and my boys seem to enjoy it. Just curious, before I go off and drop nearly $50 on ONE playset.

Marine Wife said...

I bought inexpensive martini glasses (with gift card) that I plan to paint for my SIL (I figured she probably already has a ton of wine glasses which were the original idea) and I've started cross-stitching pillowcases (they were pretty AND I had 40% off coupon) for my husband's grandmother (in her mid-90's so difficult to buy for).
Can you tell I'm with you on the frugal Christmas this year? lol

Shelley said...

I have started my shopping, but I would rather be tasered than go shopping on Black Friday. The very thought gives me the heebie-jeebies. And the whim-whams.

AND THE WIGGINS.

Did I mention that all the holiday shopping I've done, I've done online? LOL!!!