Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Made up

I think I started wearing makeup in the 8th grade. I don't remember if I wore foundation or lip gloss or mascara. What I do remember is the cobalt blue eyeliner. I liked it because I thought it brought out the blue in my eyes.

In high school, I wore make up daily. As the oldest daughter of a woman who didn't really wear makeup, I didn't have anyone to teach me how to wear makeup. I think I just kind of figured it out (or made it up) as I went along. High school was when I really started wearing foundation. I had to so I could hide the embarrassing hairs that had begun growing out of my chin.

And of course in college, makeup was a must -- even on days when I wore pajama bottoms and a sweatshirt to class.

I'm not sure when it was that I stopped wearing makeup. When I stayed home with my kids when they were little, I would stay au naturel on days we actually stayed at home. But if we went to church or the grocery store or the park, I put my face on.

I know that when I went back to work almost five years ago, I went back wearing makeup. My sister sells Mary Kay and I'm sure that I was well-outfitted with foundation, blush, eyeliner, lip liner (people still wore it then, I'm sure), mascara and maybe even some eyeshadow.

Exactly when I quit wearing makeup, I'm not sure. Maybe in the last two or three years. I recall that the first few times I went to work without a trace of "paint" on my face, I was very self-conscious, apologetic even, about my untouched appearance. I didn't go cold turkey. On most days I wore makeup. But from time to time, if I was running late or had misplaced my makeup bag, I'd go without. Eventually, I quit being self-conscious about it and I quit wearing makeup all together.

Once in a while, for a special occasion I'd put my face on. But it had to be really special. Like a wedding or the Go Red for Women fashion show.

For some reason, last Friday on the way to my aerial acrobatic adventure, I looked in the mirror and thought "I wish I'd put on some makeup." Something about the way my lips blended in with my skin, which was pale even though I'd not yet gone upside 30,000 feet over Lake Michigan, made me think a little color would be nice.

So when I met up with some college friends that night, I got real wild and wore, gasp!, lip gloss! By Saturday morning, I was back to sporting the "organic" look. Same for Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

On Wednesday, when I got dressed, the dry cracks in my heels were killing me. So I slathered on the Heeltastic and put on socks and tennies. You can't exactly wear something nice with socks and tennies, so I chose a pair of khaki capris and turquoise v-neck t-shirt.

When I dropped the kids off at the babysitter's, her mom said "Oh, you're not going into the office today?" I guess that I did look a little bit like I was ready for a day of garage saling. A few hours later, at the office, I was sitting in a meeting with four other women. I looked around and noticed, "everyone at this table is wearing makeup...except me."

I didn't think about it again until this morning. Unlike the past 500 or so days, today, I thought I'd wear some makeup. Of course I had to go out in the garage to find the bag of random stuff I cleaned out of the Pilot when we sold it nearly a month ago. That's where my Mary Kay tinted moisturizer was.

To finish the rest of my face, I had to find Annie's makeup bag. Good thing I have a teenage daughter or I would have been out of luck!

I thought I might feel instantly transformed once my face was done. But I didn't. I was pleased with the results, though. It was Mike's day off, so he was spending the day with the kids and he noticed. When I got to work, one of my co-workers said "You look really nice" and then an hour or so later said, "You're wearing makeup!"

I considered putting a picture of the made up me in this post. But the point isn't how I looked. It's how I felt. And today, I felt like wearing makeup. And I'll probably wear it again. Maybe even tomorrow. Probably not every day. But whenever the mood strikes.

13 comments:

Shauna said...

My mom used to tell me that wearing makeup was a part of getting dressed. Something you do after you brush you teeth. "You wear makeup so your husband is happy to see you when you get home." she would say. I wore makeup EVERY DAY from the time I was 13 until a couple of years ago. I did the whole thing, foundation, blush, eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara and lip gloss/lipstick. It was always my mother's voice at the back of my mind telling me to wear it.

After I got married, I stopped wearing makeup every day. My husband didn't care either way, and sometimes I just didn't feel like putting in the effort.

I wear makeup now on most days. Sometimes I go all out, but my daily routine is just foundation, a sweep of eyeshadow and mascara. Usually chap stick as well. I feel more put together when I wear it, but I am not about to waste makeup on a day where I'm going to be cleaning house or bumming around in my pajamas.

Anonymous said...

You never need to wear makeup because you are just as beautiful with or without it. However, now I understand why you do from time to time.

Momza said...

I don't wear make-up every day--
and when I say make-up I mean foundation & blush.
Most days, I will put on some mascara and lip gloss and call it good.
Unless I am just hanging out with the yahoos and Mr W...who says I don't need it.
I do wear it to church, work and special days tho...and you're right, it does make me feel presentable when I do!
p.s. way to go on the plane adventure! I'd have done it too!

Michelle Pixie said...

I usually go with the organic look but every once in a while I will don some mascara and it feels good when I do but then life gets busy and getting three kids out the door and myself make-up seems like a low priority. But if it makes me feel good, even if I am not good at it! ;-)

Ange said...

Ahhh blue eyeliner. Made me feel just like Princess Diana.

I turned up at work without makeup once. I work in a high school and the girls in class weren't having it. They thought I looked sick and offered to give me a makeover then an there. Having seen the way they share their goop around, I declined. Since then I always make sure I've covered some of my cracks.

Ange
http://quirkyisokay.blogspot.com
http://gondandange.blogspot.com

Eternal Lizdom said...

I don't wear make up. I've gone through phases where I do wear it.

Now, I only wear it if there is a reason to enhanc emy features- like having pictures taken, being on video, talking in front of a crowd. Well, I didn't wear any when I preached a sermon at church, though.

For me... I'm just super comfortable in my own skin. I don't even have great skin! I'll go for a bit of time wearing make up. I get compliments and all that jazz. And then I get tired of the maintenance of it. I'm just not a maintenance kind of woman. I work with women who wear makeup everyday and who touch up after lunch and before going home.

These days, make up isn't even on my radar.

I'm wondering if Mike is the Anon commentor? If so... Awwwwwww!!!!

Jessica McCoy said...

When I first started wearing makeup I wore liquid cobalt blue liner and some silverish shadow and black mascara. Scary I know. My mom wore liquid liner so I thought that's how it was done. I finally had some friends that set me straight but I didn't really get into makeup until right before I got married. My boss' friend was a Mary Kay director and so she set me up a facial with her to teach me how to put on my makeup. I wanted to learn how to do my own makeup for the wedding. Needless to say I joined MK and have been wearing makeup properly ever since.

I'm 27 but without makeup I feel like I look 18. Makeup helps me feel like an adult especially working as an office manager. I wear it pretty much every day, even if I'm just at home. I just feel more productive.

Beth said...

When I was in 7th grade that was the first year we were allowed to wear make up to school. So every morning I put a full face on.

Haven't worn makeup on a daily basis since!

It is more because I"m lazy and I am so not a morning person so taking the time just doesn't interest me. Lately I've felt that I actually need it though. I'm starting to look a bit older, the circles under my eyes are looking a bit darker so I've been trying to at least put on a little concealer and mascara before I leave the house. The full face is for nights out only!

Nancy C said...

I wear lipstick religiously. It makes me feel pretty. If I hated it, I wouldn't bother. And that, like you pointed out so well, is the whole point!

Beth Zimmerman said...

My mom always wore make-up. I remember ridiculing her for her bright blue eye-shadow (late 70s) and telling her it was ridiculous to paint herself up like that. She left me to my opinions and I never learned to use make up. Then I married a guy who doesn't like *painted women.* So I still don't wear any. But sometimes, as I get older, I wish I had learned some of those tricks along the way!

Beth Zimmerman said...

My mom always wore make-up. I remember ridiculing her for her bright blue eye-shadow (late 70s) and telling her it was ridiculous to paint herself up like that. She left me to my opinions and I never learned to use make up. Then I married a guy who doesn't like *painted women.* So I still don't wear any. But sometimes, as I get older, I wish I had learned some of those tricks along the way!

Las Vegas Mama said...

Like you, I had a mom who didnt wear makeup or teach me about it. I had to figure it out on my own, and there were some MAJOR faux pas. it took me a long time to figure out what looked best on me.

Now I wear it when I go out as long as I have enough time (minimum of eyeshadow and eyeliner if nothing else). Every once in a while tho I "dont feel like it" and just dont care. Then I go out, catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror and go "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!" And then I tend to remember more frequently LOL.

Anonymous said...

GAH...memories. when i was in grade 6 i remember using pencil crayon in place of eyeliner. what was i thinking? LOL

i always wear makeup except when i'm at home. on the weekends, if i'm just venturing out to the store or the gym, i use a tinted moisturizer. if i'm at home, i don't use anything except a regular moisturizer.

i used to wear the cobalt blue liner AND mascara in high school. i was so cool. ;)

diane
toronto, on