Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, July 2, 2010

Facing the fat

Today was the day that I decided to face the fat. I hadn't been to Weight Watchers since May 19. Of course I kept paying for the membership, thinking that I was going to go "this week," "next Tuesday," "after work." I knew that my weight was up. That was easy to tell by the way my clothes were fitting and by the few times I was brave enough to step, ever so briefly, on my bathroom scale.

But I need the accountability of weighing in to someone else. Standing on my own bathroom scale, I can rationalize that my weight must be affected by the time of day, the amount of clothes I'm wearing, the imprecise nature of the Target-bought scale. The official Weight Watchers scale, though, I never argue with. It is what it is and I take it seriously. So I knew to get myself back on track, I had to go submit to the scale.

If you've ever been on a weight loss program where you have to go in and weigh in front of someone else, you know that it's not a simple as getting in the car and getting on the scale. First there is the pre-grooming.

I took a shower and made sure to shave my legs, you know, because all that hairy stubble might weigh a quarter of an ounce or so. When I got out of the shower, I took extra time to dry my hair, lest any water left in my tresses should add weight to the scale. Wearing glasses and jewelry, is of course, totally out of the question. Do you know how heavy a pair of earrings can be? (I do make an exception for my wedding ring. But if I had a 3 carat rock, it would totally be left behind before the weigh-in.)

Once all the grooming is done, then it's time to get dressed. Generally, my rule of thumb is "as little and as light" as possible. But today, I had to think about that. If I wore something a bit heavier, maybe jean shorts, then I could more likely post an impressive loss next week by wearing cotton shorts and a t-shirt. That could be pretty motivating. However, if I did that, I would rationalize whatever gain I might show today, blaming it all on the clothes. So I opted for a pair of knit shorts and a cotton t-shirt.

No need for breakfast because every person whose ever been on a diet...excuse me, a "lifestyle change," knows one of the cardinal rules of weigh-ins is that you don't eat or drink anything before you step on the scale. One last trip to the bathroom (weigh-ins call for the emptiest bladder possible), and I was out the door.

On the drive over to the meeting, I mulled over all of the excuses I might offer for what I anticipated to be a 9 or 10-pound gain. We were on vacation (so what if it was just 24 hours in Southern Indiana). The kids are home and there's more food in the house. My routine is broken so there is no time to get to the gym (never mind the fact that Denzel is collecting cobwebs in my basement).

The nice lady behind the desk didn't ask for any excuses and I saved her from having to tell me I gained by forewarning her that I was anticipating a sharp increase. She smiled and handed me my weigh-in booklet. I didn't let myself look at it until I was sitting in the classroom, waiting for the meeting to start.

Up 6.6 pounds. Now all you skinny-never-had-a-weight-problem people out there are probably gasping. But those of you who've been where I am likely understand when I say I was actually pleased that I only gained 6.6 pounds. Not that I want to keep up the trend of gaining 1.1 pounds a week (the exact opposite would be great), but I was expecting worse.

I faced the fat and survived. I can move ahead with renewed determination...right after I get something to eat. I didn't eat breakfast and I'm starving.

10 comments:

Annie said...

Good for you for going back and weighing in! 6.6 isn't bad and now you know what you have to do to lose it and get back on track.

Mike Magan said...

I agree with Annie (I know she's not our daughter). Im sure Robbie would agree it's good to "FACE YOUR FEARS" and Mark twain also said "Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear."

Shelley said...

Good for you for going back to WW. I agree: 6.6 isn't bad and you can lose it. I believe in you. :)

Beth Zimmerman said...

Good for you! I've been wondering if I need to go to WW for precisely that reason even more than for the nutritional guidance. The accountability factor is really a BIG thing when you are trying to change your life!

BTW ... when I went to WW years ago there was one lady who insisted on coming early so she could weigh in her slip! I think that's taking it a bit far but ... whatever!

Amy said...

I'd been elated with a mere 6.6! I stopped paying months ago and now wish I'd just had the stamina and self-control to keep it up.

Give yourself a pat on the back for having the faith in both yourself and the program!!

Shell said...

Good for you for going back!

I don't have a scale in my house b/c I like denial. Probably not the best idea I ever had.

kimybeee said...

you have to be making some good decisions to have only put on 6 pounds in all that time away from accountibility! good job!!

Eternal Lizdom said...

I've been holding steady with no gain, no loss for about a month now. I know it's my food choices doing it. And when I have weighed in (twice over the past month), I hold my breath and wait and let out a huge sigh that I haven't gained. But I am starting to miss the celebration of losing... so I need to get back to it.

So what's your going forward plan? How are you going to get back on track?

moosh in indy. said...

This makes me miss my wear heavy clothes one week skip lunch and dinner. binge when you get home in your stretchy pants next week mother in law.

(Although I do the same thing to WiiFit.)

Sharon said...

It could have been MUCH worse. Good for you for facing the numbers.
I need to get back in control. Being gone on vacation over a week now has been TERRIBLE.
6.6 isn't a horrible thing to lose. It can happen in a month.

I've been there, and I think I'm there with ya now!