Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, October 11, 2010

Can I quote you on that?

Isn't it funny how little snippets of speech climb into our subconscious and stay there, popping up from time to time? Sometimes they are quotes that we deliberately commit to memory and maybe even spend time reflecting on. Some are laced with memories about the situations where we first heard them or the people who spoke them. Others are just phrases bandied about as part of the public vernacular that we end up incorporating into our own speech.

One that I recall when my kids complain about having to go to church (I know! Heathens!) is one of the classics my own mom used to lay on us:

"Do you think Jesus wanted to climb up on that cross and die for you?!"

Another, that I might have shared here before, is one that I've spent a fair amount of time mulling over in the trials of the past several months:

"The safest place to be is within the will of God."

Finally, I came across this classic from Erma Bombeck. It makes me laugh, which, as they say, is sometimes the best medicine:

"I was too old for a paper route, too young for Social Security and too tired for an affair."

Amen, Sister Erma.

What little pearls do you carry with you? Do you print them out and post them on the fridge or on your computer? Set them as a screen saver or use them on your kids?

6 comments:

Lisa said...

There are many comments I remember from growing up but lately I find my kids' comments are the ones most likely to enter my daily language.

"Really Mom? Really."

"Actually..." (We ALL say Actually now ALL the time)

"Boom De Doom."

And my new favorite, "This song makes my feet jiggle."

Joanie said...

My mother would send us to the store for cigarettes for her (HA!! Try letting your kids do that these days!). She'd say, "This is a $20 bill and God's sake, don't lose the change!"

A quote I have on my blog says, "Never regret growing older. It's a pleasure denied to many."

Annie said...

Yes, Jesus did want to climb up there and die for us, that was the point! :)

My favorite right now is "A year from now you'll wish you had started today." it has lead me to stop procrastinating about a lot of things since I read it early this year.

Anonymous said...

LOL @ mom's comment on not wanting to go to church. That just might work w/ my kids. I really should get to church. It's been a while.

Janet said...

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is that small voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'

Check out the Ellen Nothbohm book excerpt of the chapter "I Sound Like My Mother - I Hope!"

www.ellennotbohm.com/ellens-books/362/book-excerpt-%e2%80%93-the-autism-trail-guide/

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.