Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, October 4, 2010

Holy pets, Batman!

Today was the feast day of St. Francis of Assisi, the patron saint of animals. In honor of the day, the kids' school held a pet blessing just before dismissal. Robbie was beside himself with excitement that Gabby could come to school -- well, at least to the parking lot of the school.

So despite day three of my monumental and hormonal headache, I put the dog in the car and headed down for what might have been her first religious experience (aren't I a good mom?!). This is the two of us in the car:

On the road

There were several dogs already there when we arrived. Most everyone was behaving nicely on their leashes. However, one friend of mine was crazy enough to bring their three BIG black labs (if I'm a good mom, she's a stellar mom) who thought nothing of using their combined weight to bring her to her knees and eventually belly down in the grass. I noticed by the time the blessing actually got underway, she was down to one dog.

When the classes came outside, Robbie found Gabby and me rather quickly and sat with us for the blessing, though I don't know if Gabs considered Robbie's presence a blessing:

Photobucket

Soon, Charlie joined us, too. Annie said hello but opted to stand with her friends, who for the record, thought that Gabby was adorable. Once everyone was gathered, Fr. Jeremy, the associate pastor, began the blessing ceremony. I wondered if this job traditionally goes to the second priest on the totem pole? 

A few prayers, a reading from Genesis, some outstretched hands, a light sprinkle of holy water and we had ourselves a blessed bagle hound. 

Photobucket

If only those few words and that little bit of holy water could work some magic on the whole chewing and housebreaking thing...unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. 

The majority of pets at the blessing were dogs, though I did see one dad holding a box of guinea pigs and Fr. Jeremy said there were a couple of cats in carriers. And Robbie's teacher put their class pet -- a catfish named Whiskers -- in a bucket so he (she?) could be blessed, too.

Blessed fish

6 comments:

Annie said...

That's great! I remember sprinkling my cat heavily with holy water and praying that she'd live forever. I was probably about 7 years old. She lived 20 years!

Momza said...

I've never heard of this before...
bet you guys had a tender moment of gratitude for the companionship of animals. Sounds really sweet, Amy.
And your boy was glowing!

Rebecca Jo said...

I have never heard of anyone doing this - but I LOVE it!!!! We always say prayers over our doggies. I saw somewhere a preacher saying that he doesnt believe our pets go to Heaven because they cant "choose" to follow Jesus... I told my husband, He doesnt know our dogs... they KNOW Jesus!!!! :)

kimybeee said...

amy if a pet blessing got a dog to housebreak, i would convert to wiccan! our pup still isn't doing really well, but who can blame her if the kids don't take her out, ever! at least for you gabby seems to help you stay inspired to go walk. i would have to carry our dog to do that, she is too tiny!

Anonymous said...

Poor mom w/ the 3 black labs. I have one and she's crazy enough as it is. :)

Joanie said...

Robbie sure does love that pup!