It's been a rough week here in Indianapolis. Our quarterback and our team parted ways. It happened with the kind of class and dignity our city showed during the Super Bowl played here last month. Most of us knew it would happen, but that didn't make it any easier to watch.
Then today, several more of our boys -- ok, men -- got their marching orders. I'm not talking 2nd and 3rd string no-names. I'm talking men whose names we proudly wore on jerseys week after week. Men who made big plays. Men who made the Indianapolis Colts so easy to love, even when they posted a 2-14 record.
We love these men -- Gary Brackett, Joseph Addai, Melvin Bullitt, Dallas Clark -- not just for what they did on the field, but more for what they brought to our community. They are caring, giving individuals who make us proud to be Colts fans.
But we are fans of the TEAM, not just of the individual players, so to those of you getting ready to join the ranks of the Indianapolis Colts, we say "Welcome." Before you sign on the dotted line, there are some things you should know about this city and our team:
- We don't do big egos here. If you've got the goods, be proud. But don't be arrogant. The "I" in this city is for Indianapolis, not for some football player who behaves as though he's a gift to our team.
- We don't do illegal here. We're not accustomed to opening our newspapers and turning on our television to news about members of our football team being in legal trouble for drugs, domestic abuse, illegal gambling, drinking and driving or whatever. Oh, we're not perfect and there have been a few incidents in the past (Mr. McAfee), but our players are generally good citizens and we like it that way.
- Indianapolis is your home and its people will be your new family. So spend time with us. Join us at restaurants and in the mall and on the little league fields with your kids. We're not starstruck. We'll probably strike up a conversation, but we know how to be polite enough to let you have your space, too.
- Be polite back to us. Jeff Saturday has held a door open for me...twice. Good manners endear you to the fans and make your mamas proud.
- Let us know what you're passionate about -- and I hope at least one of you will be passionate about the elderly -- and let us know how we can support your efforts there. Those guys who are leaving have left behind some pretty big holes to fill in that regard. We want to see you do good -- inside and outside of Lucas Oil Stadium.
- Know we've got your back. We know this is a rebuilding year. Probably several of them. But we'll stand behind you, as long as you give it your all and stay focused on the game, not the limelight.
The 4th Frog
A Colts Fan