Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, October 23, 2008

My new favorite number

For as long as I can remember, my favorite number has been 7. Not real original I know, but whenever someone says "pick a number," 7 is what I come up with. But not today.

Today, my new favorite number is 48. Why?
  • Not for the 48 contiguous states of the U.S. (can't leave out Hawaii and Alaska)
  • Not for Indianapolis Colts tight end Justin Snow (though he does have beautiful blue eyes)
  • Not for the book 48 Days to the Work You Love (I've never actually read it)
  • Not for the 48 flavors of ice cream offered by Morgan's Dairy Bar and Calf-A (though if I ever get to North Carolina, that's gonna be my first stop)
The reason that 48 is my new favorite number is that the next 48 hours are ALL MINE! Blissfully, independently, quietly ALL MINE!

It's Fall Break and Mike left with the kids to visit his parents until Saturday night. We were all going to go and I was really looking forward to it. But work has been crazy busy -- I have about three projects due by November 1 and there is just not enough time to get it all done. On top of that, my house looks like a Goodwill store exploded inside of it. And I've been so overwhelmed by it all that by yesterday morning I could barely breathe and felt on the verge of a breakdown. (Well, breakdown might be a tad dramatic, but I am not a crier and I was crying.)

So, my 48 hours will not be spent eating bonbons and sleeping in (ok, well maybe I'll sleep in a little). But I can work without interruption and without feeling guilty that it's the kids' Fall Break and I'm sitting in front of the computer while they are glued to the TV. Instead, they'll be spending time with GoGo and Poppo, going to the children's museum, out to dinner and probably to see High School Musical 3. And Mike will hopefully get a little extra rest as well, since his Mom and Dad can look after the kids a bit.

In addition to work, I'll be happily and ruthlessly getting rid of anything in this house that is worn out, does not fit or that I'm tired of looking at. I'd like to think that I can have the entire house finished by Saturday night. Alas, I realize that I am only one woman. But if I can tackle the first floor, my bedroom and Annie's bedroom, I'll be happy.

As incentive I've planned a movie night out with the girls (though so far no one else has said they can come). And if I'm really on a roll and get LOTS done, I'm going to the cheap Chinese place next to the dry cleaner for a long overdue mani and pedi!

Boy, I hope Mike doesn't read this blog. I'd like him to believe I'm here slaving away. No sense in letting him know that I've built in a little vacation as well.

So, until Saturday evening, my favorite number is 48. At which point, it will change to 40 -- for the 40 days until my annual holiday shopping getaway.

4 comments:

Sharon said...

Enjoy your break!!!!
What movie are you going to see?

Andrea @ Momma in Flip Flops2 said...

Good luck with your projects and enoy your break! =) By the way, Love the new profile picture. I just noticed it.

Mike Magan said...

you go gurl

Anonymous said...

Amy, I want to go to movie night....when?????? :-) Kris