Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, May 13, 2011

A Friend In Need and the Wisdom of Pooh Bear

Today's guest post is from my long-time bloggy turned real-life friend, Liz, who you can find at her blog, Eternal Lizdom. Thanks Liz for helping out while I'm spending time with my family, celebrating the life of Mike's mom.
Eternal Lizdom

Sometimes, it is so hard to know what to do or say when someone you know is going through something difficult. My first response is always that I am praying for them. And I mean it- they aren’t words I use lightly and I will lift them up in prayer immediately and anytime they enter my mind after that.

For some situations, prayer and kind words are all I have to offer.

But what about the other things that friends do for us? What are the things that you are particularly good at doing when someone is facing hard times? And what holds you back from reaching out and asking to help?

Maybe you make an awesome casserole that is insanely easy to reheat and serve. Maybe you also make delicious cookies. What stops you from throwing together that meal and dropping it off to a friend going through a hard time?

Maybe you knit or are otherwise crafty. Why not knit a scarf for a friend who is hurting and give it to them with a note that says “wear this and feel my arms embracing you as you go through this difficulty?” Or maybe a blanket they can snuggle up with- those fleece knot blanket or a simple pieced together quilt?

You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.
Maybe you are great at entertaining kids. Why not call up your mom friend who has a husband who is out of town on business and she’s been frazzled with work stress and health issues and money problems and offer to pick up the kids and give her a few hours to herself?

Maybe you are an artist. Why not paint or draw a calm and serene picture full of calm and warm colors to give to someone who is hurting?

"Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind. "Pooh?" he whispered.

"Yes, Piglet?"

"Nothing," said Piglet, taking Pooh's hand. "I just wanted to be sure of you."

Maybe you just know the things that leave you feeling loved and you can give that to someone. Schedule (and pay for) a massage appointment for a friend who has helped you through some fitness hurdles and is suffering some muscle and tension pain. Make a comfort basket of their favorite treats- wine, chocolate, Diet Coke, fuzzy socks, a cozy scented candle.

Maybe you like to work outside. What stops you from going next door to your widowed neighbor’s yard and mowing or raking or shoveling snow?

And maybe you can write and reach people with your words. What stops you from writing a guest post for a friend’s blog or writing a post that asks others to help someone? Why not start typing and use your words and network to uplift and support?

A friend in need is a friend indeed. I hope that my friends know they can call on me when they have a need- just like my friend Amy did. I also hope that I can be in tune with the people around me and that I can see a need and not be afraid to reach out and fulfill it. That I can let down my guard and not be afraid to step out of my comfort zone to make a positive impact in someone’s life, to show them that they are thought of and cared about and loved.

"Friendship," said Christopher Robin, "is a very comforting thing to have."

9 comments:

Janet said...

Amy, great post.

Right now my life is big-time crazy. Just this week one of my neighbors knocked on the door and said "can I mow the lawn" not "what can I do" -- huge, wonderful difference.

Momza said...

Love this so much, I linked it up with the Mormon Mommy Blogs Post of the Week!
Thanks Liz and Amy!

Shawnie Cannon said...

Really enjoyed your ideas. It reminded me to get out of my comfort zone more. It's easy for me to stow away. My family keeps me busy. I need to do more outside our walls.

Em @ Inspired Coincidences said...

I love this post! I love the Pooh references, they are spectacular. Thanks for your thoughts!
stopping by from MMB post of the week

Eternal Lizdom said...

Thanks for reading, everyone!! And thanks for the link up, Momza!!

The best part of writing it was what a great reminder it was for MYSELF. I am a generous and thoughtful person but there is always room for improvement and always opportunities to help others in specific ways with my specific gifts.

Briget P said...

Wow, I loved what you had to say. Directed acts of kindness - I linked to you as well!
Briget
from http://denverletters.blogspot.com/

Mrs4444 said...

First, Amy, I'm so sorry for your loss, and I will keep your family in my prayers.

Second, I like to bring food to friends/neighbors who are grieving. I remember that when my FIL passed away, it helped in my family's healing to be fed by those who cared.

Eternal Lizdom said...

Bridget- thanks for your kind words and for linking up.

Mrs4444- I remember when we experienced our miscarriage and some friends brought food to us. It meant so much. Even though I had no appetite, just knowing someone really cared was what made it special.

Valerie said...

Loved your thoughts! All of it is so true. It is only important to reach out and show our love and concern and not being worried that it isn't the "right way". I recently went through a divorce and so many people just stopped calling me and inviting me to do things because they didn't know what to say or do. All I needed was a friend. I didn't expect anyone to make my life all better. Now I have a friend going through a divorce and all I do is call and text her constantly and listen. She has thanked me so many times for just listening and assuring her that she isn't crazy for how she feels. How easy is that?