Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

What a difference 3 years makes

Happy Blogiversary Pictures, Images and Photos

Three years ago today, I started this blog. I called it the 4th Frog out of desperation and sheer lack of creativity for anything else. But in those three years, I've grown into the name.

I've become the 4th Frog. I answer to the name on Twitter. But I've stopped short of getting vanity license plates and decorating my house with frog figurines.

Three years ago, I clicked over to Google Analytics several times a day to see how many people had read what I'd written that day. Now, I check out my metrics about once a month. I felt like it was my duty to make people laugh when they visited this blog. I still like to make people laugh, but I feel more duty-bound to be honest because that's where the real connections happen.

I thought 2008 was going to be the launch pad for my first book -- grown out of this blog. Now I'm not so sure what I've written here is book worthy, but I do feel like I've found a voice here that could also find a home in a book or two if I choose to take that path.

Back in the day, I was afraid if I didn't post every day (or nearly so) that I would lose followers. Now I know that if I don't step away from the blog from time to time, even if its just a for a few days, I'm in danger of losing perspective.

In 2008, I was worried about attracting followers. Now I blog because it brings me friends.

I'm older now. Maybe more cynical. Hopefully a little wiser. But the most important thing is, that on this, my 3rd blogiversary, I am still here and you are here and I'm happy about that.

12 comments:

Michelle@gotchababy said...

Hoppy Blog-o-versary, Amy! I'm glad our paths have crossed online and IRL!

Ellen aka Ellie said...

I'm glad I hopped (had to) across you so recently.

One of the best things I've done with my blog is to hide the followers gadget and just rejoice in the comments and feedback I get from, like you wrote, my friends.

I love your blog! Happy anniversary.

Angie said...

Wow - 3 years ... Happy Blogiversary! And while I'm a new reader, I'm very much enjoying your site. Best wishes in every endeavor, be it book or anything else. And cheers to many more blogiversaries :)

Unknown said...

Happy Blogaversary!

I am new here too..love your stuff, keep doing more!

Jen said...

Happy 3rd blogoversary! :)

Stacy said...

Happy Blogoversary! It's amazing how your perspective changes over the course of a blog's life...and the friendships are definitely what counts, not the volume of visitors...though I still have the visitors widget displayed on my blog because I like to see where visitors come from...you know there are a lot of places I've never even heard of. It amazes me to think that someone in Abudabi is reading my stuff.

kimybeee said...

so glad you are here and so glad we are "best friends" - love you amy!!!

Mike Magan said...

This has been a fun ride. I hope you never end the experiment.

CWMartin said...

Congratulations! I've never regretted hitting the "follow" button.

Amy said...

So glad you're the 4th Frog! I see you as a mentor in this crazy blogosphere...many more happy returns!

Warrior MAMA said...

Happy Blog-o-versavry new friend!

:)
Warrior MAMA Lisa

Leilan McNally said...

Congrats on three years.