Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Peel: True or False

So, I'm on day 3 after my Vi facial peel treatment and I know for sure why they call it a "peel." I thought it would fun to do a little "true or false" telling regarding my experience.

1. The sloughing of the skin will begin on day 3 following the application of the peel. FALSE. I woke up yesterday morning, about 36 hours after my peel and noticed that I had dead skin beginning to slough off of my chin. When I washed my face and applied the moisturizer, more skin rolled off as my fingers glided over my chin.

2. The peeling is similar to that of a sunburn peel. TRUE. It doesn't hurt, but the layers of dead skin coming off are similar to when the skin sheds after a sunburn.

3. You should moisturize the skin frequently during the sloughing process. TRUE. My face does feel pretty dry on the dead patches. Moisturizing helps this feel better, but also causes the dead stuff to roll off more quickly.

4. You should schedule your peel so that you can stay home and out of public view on the sloughing days. TRICK QUESTION. True, that would be ideal. But in my case, the reality has been FALSE. Yesterday, Mike had knee surgery so I was in the hospital waiting room all day, trying to keep my head down in my laptop, so as to minimize the number of people who actually could see that my face was shedding like snakeskin. I don't know why I tried to hide it because by the end of the day, I'd been at the hospital, at the drugstore, at Target and at Charlie's basketball practice. And as much as I'd hoped to be a hermit today, I've been back to basketball practice, to the post office and back to Target.

5. You should not pick at the skin falling off your face. TRUE. Although, I'm kind of failing at that. I'm trying really hard not to pick, but I'm the kid who loved to pick dried glue off the Elmer's bottle in grade school. Old habits die hard.

6. You should not commit murder or any other investigatable crime while your skin is shedding from your Vi Peel. TRUE. If you feel like you want to knock off someone, wait until after all the sloughing of the skin is finished. Because let me tell you, there is so much DNA falling off my face now, I'd be convicted faster than you can say "life without parole."

7. You should have a colorful explanation for people who stare and ask what happened to your face. TRUE. In my case, I had a tragic s'mores accident, when I got too close to the bonfire to check my marshmallow. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

8. No pain, no gain. TRUE. Actually, that's a little misleading. This is an UGLY process, but not a painful one. But the skin that's emerging from under all this ugliness is bright and soft as a baby's bottom. And it smells better than a baby's butt, too. Having said that, I do hope to have my "new" face front and center in time for work on Monday.

I promised you pics, so for those with strong stomachs, here they are:

Early peel:

Photobucket

In full peel:

Photobucket

Close up on the cheek:

peel cheek


Bet you can't wait to run right out and get a facial peel of your own, huh?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! You can really tell how nice and smooth the skin underneath is! That is amazing! I may run out and get one myself...though at this point (6 wks post partum), I'm more focused on a tummy tuck! :)

Sharon said...

LOL!!! I love your tags to go w/ this post. "Help my face is falling off". You're so funny.

I honestly think it looks like so much fun. I would LOVE to do this. Any idea what it would cost if you had pay for something like this?

You're looking beautiful, Amy!

Eternal Lizdom said...

Oh please do find out how expensive things would be if it weren't part of the Go Red thing!! The peel is fascinating but still freak me out!

Amy said...

@Sharon & @Liz - I think the cost for the peel is $65. Laser hair removal (what I REALLY need) is $75/session or 5 sessions for $300.

Momza said...

Liz read my mind--I was wondering how much something like that costs...I've got age spots surfacing, and wonder if this would help. I am so excited for your journey!
Thx for sharing!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Joanne said...

Where was a good stylish veil when you needed one - ala 40's vamp. As others said you can see how fabulous your skin is going to be -- can hardly wait to see that post.

Shelley said...

Omigosh, I am DYING. "Life without parole"....lol!!!!

It has been very entertaining, reading about this first step in your new project. Funny and informative!

Annie said...

so u smell babie's butts?! mother!!!!

Joanie said...

Looks scary and sore right now! Can't wait to see the final result!