Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Clean sweep

I spent about six hours today cleaning out four closets, four dressers and a desk. Unfortunately, none of it was in my own house. Instead, my sisters, my brother-in-law Steve and I gathered at my parents' house to take on the job of cleaning out three bedrooms that are only used when we come home for a visit.

We started in my sister Angie's old room. She worked on one walk-in closet, while I dove in to the second. Considering that my parents have lived in this house for 16 years or so, we found some pretty interesting things, including:
  • A sterile cup that held the metal screw that used to be in Angie's ankle after surgery for a soccer injury.
  • Two sailor dresses from our annual sorority "Cruise Night" rush party
  • About a dozen or so old dance recital costume and a nun costume
  • My mom's senior prom dress (which we counted has been moved to at least seven different houses)
  • A couple of Angie's kindergarten projects (mind you, she is 31 years old)
  • More pairs of old underwear than I care to count
  • Lots and lots of old pictures, one of which I'm going to scan and e-mail to AwkwardFamilyPhotos.com
In my sister Shelley's room, we found enough wrapping paper, gift tags, curly ribbon and gift bags to stock the North Pole for five years. Never again will I have my kids hit up Grandma for the annual wrapping paper sale. Shelley's closet yielded several outfits that once belonged to a now-deceased distant relative that my mom felt the need to take in. The only thing that could be worse than Mom taking these clothes and storing them in a closet for five years would be if Mom had actually worn them in public. Off to the Goodwill with them.

My brother Nick's old room actually had a few useful items in it, not too surprising since he's only 4, 6 and 10 years older than my kids. I snagged a couple of boxes of math flash cards (won't my kiddos be happy!) and two sport coat/pants outfits that may come in handy for the next time we have a wedding or a funeral to attend.

All total, we bagged up seven 55-gallon bags of trash and delivered eight 55-gallon bags of cast offs to the Goodwill. That's 825 gallons of stuff! We're going to list some of the furniture on Craig's List and a few smaller items on eBay.

I'm only heading home with a small laundry basket of items, which is one benefit of having never actually lived in this house. Just wait until Angie's husband eyes the three boxes of stuff she's bringing home.

It was a big job, but we had a lot of fun going through some of the stuff, especially the old pictures. So much fun, in fact, that we're looking for a date to come back and tackle the basement!

8 comments:

Momza said...

I too, was in the cleaning mood today! I went thru all of the kids' toys in the basement playroom. My hips hurt from sitting on the floor for so long.
That's not fun---but I loved the final result...everything is in its' place.
Ahhhh.
Oh and you can come to my crazy house any ol time!

Eternal Lizdom said...

I love Awkward Family Photos- hilarious!!

Angie Seaman said...

Good for you guys! That is an awesome feeling to tackle such a job. Organization at its finest! Ha ha! Just wanted to let you know that I emailed you directly pertaining to your comment you left on my blog last night. Let me know if you didn't get it. Feel free to email or call me anytime. I left you my cell # in the email.
Hugs girl!
Angie
www.angelicagracedesigns.com/blog/
www.angieseamanphotography.blogspot.com
www.agdprayerblog.blogspot.com

Nate's Mom said...

My dad and I went through tons of stuff when he moved into an apartment last fall. I brought home tons of photo albums to scrapbook in my "spare time". I love the old pics. Going to have to check out that site. Sounds like a good procrastination site for when I should be working :-)

varangianguard said...

55 gallon? Where did you ever find those? I have a hard time finding 39 gallon ones.

(They weren't in one of those closets, were they?) ;)

Amy said...

@Momza -- Wouldn't that be fun to meet up sometime?

@Liz -- I know. Just wait until I get my pic scanned and e-mailed.

@Angie -- Thanks for the e-mail. I'll be in touch soon.

@Nate's mom -- I'm behind in my own scrapbooking (by about 5 years!). Couldn't tackle someone else's.

@varangianguard -- My sis bought them. Probably @ Walmart.

Rebecca Cameron said...

Ahhhh! Cruise Night dresses! :) I was just talking to a co-worker/DG alum about what to do with old DG and nautical knick-knacks. Last week I found a Barn Bash '88 wine-skin bag, the paddle from my sorority mom and a few other choice formal favors. Yikes!

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

I want you to post the photo here for us! :)

And so nice that you all got together before a funeral to do this!