Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Crazy talkin'

I've been thinking about doing a 5k sometime soon. I can knock out 3 miles on the treadmill pretty easily now. Well, there is heavy breathing and sometimes some begging for mercy going on, but I can get it done in about 45 minutes. Plus, I'm so ready for springtime and to be able to spend some time outside, the idea of a 5k actually sounds pleasant.

Believe it or not, that is not the crazy talk.

So today, I was surfing around looking for upcoming 5k races in my area. The St. Patrick's Day 5k is a possibility, though it's a little sooner than I'd planned. There's an Outrun the Sun 5k in early June, but that's a little later than I'd hoped for.

Anyway, I was scrolling through all the races and found myself looking at the August 2010 calendar. On August 21, I will turn 40 years old. Seven days later, there will be this:

Photobucket

I saw that and thought, "Now THAT's a way to celebrate being 40!"

Am I nuts to even consider this? Maybe I'm still a little euphoric over yesterday and that's affecting my ability to view things realistically.

But, I can do a 3-mile run. I can do a 10-mile bike ride (at least I can on the bike at the gym). The swimming scares me a bit -- ok, a lot. And can I do all three of those things, one after another? I have six months to train, right?

Could I do it? A triathalon?

Be honest with me. Is thinking that I could do the Go Girl triathalon just crazy talk?

20 comments:

kimybeee said...

YES YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!! You go girl and don't let anything stop you...just imagine those test results anytime you need inspiration!! (googly eye the mailman if you need too!)

Eternal Lizdom said...

YOU CAN TOTALLY DO IT!!

And why not join the MLM Race for the Cure team and run with me and Lisa?

Nancy said...

You can do it. It sounds like you are on the right path already with the biking and running, you just need to work some swimming into your routine. I think that it would be great for you!

Lisa said...

I can tell you want to do it, and that is half the battle. Do it Amy!

And Ditto Lizdom on the Race for the Cure team. Join us as a pre-tri run!

Momza said...

WHose to say you can't? You're a grown woman! You can DO IT!!!!

Mrs4444 said...

You oould totally do this! Just bring a cap to the pool when you practice; I'm guessing chlorine is hell on the hair (highlights or perms). Hey, these things are important!haha Good luck deciding, but I think you should go for it! :)

Annie said...

GO MOM GO!!!!

ruth holladay said...

Check with Kyle and see what he says; check with Kara, too. This is a serious event -- I watched my son do one in Chicago (imagine swimming in Lake Michigan) -- and it seems to me you are poised to accomplish it. But see what the trainers have to say about getting ready for it, so that it is a good experience.
All that said, I agree with your friends: wanting it is half the battle!

Beth Zimmerman said...

You can TOTALLY do that! Keep us posted on your progress!

Beth Zimmerman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

If you sign up, I'll do it with you!

We can swim together at LA Fitness - I can bring a guest on my membership.

Just let me know!!!

PS - I hate running. If you get me through the run, I'll get you through the swim!

babybeezymom said...

You can do it! Heck, you have me actually considering signing up. I will be the lady being rescued during the swim. Hehe. All joking aside, I am seriously considering this event as well.

Krista said...

Read Slow Fat Triathlete!!! You could definitely do this!

kimybeee said...

i liked the red border you had, i thought it was very bright and cheerful and looked good with your purple and green!

Beth said...

GO FOR IT!!!! We will cheer you on every step of the way!!

Cathy said...

Hey Amy, You can do it! Let me know if you want to use the pool to swim some laps (kid free time)! If you ever want someone to do a 5k with, let me know...I did a few last fall. No - I am not fast at all - more of a run/walk here! I usually look at the calendar at indyrunners.com to find something in the area.
Cathy H. =)

Marine Wife said...

Come August, I want to see a picture of you crossing that finish line!!

Jenny McB said...

If you can run now, of course you can do it. Go for it.

Unknown said...

I love it! You go, Amy!
I also love having your blog emailed to me. A bright spot in my day...and I need a bright spot most days!

adraider21 said...

I know this is weird for your daughter's friend to comment, but I also think along with everyone else, that you should and CAN do it. Also, while you train at the JCC.. Annie and I can hang out and work out together! Good Luck! =]