Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Trash talkin' not spoken here


Unless you're living under a rock, you know that today is the day of Superbowl 44 (please don't ask me to put it in Roman numerals). And unless you're a Patriots fan just trying to forget that the sport of football even exists, you're probably aware that the Indianapolis Colts will take on the New Orleans Saints at 6:30pm EST tonight.

Living in Indianapolis, we are definitely Colts fans. I'm not sure I'd call us die-hard -- we don't have season tickets, we don't tailgate before the games and we don't have horseshoes shaved into our sons' heads.

But on game days the whole family gets out the Colts jerseys, sweatshirts, and in my case, bedazzled horseshoe shirt. The "good" TV is reserved for game watching and I stay up late to watch the replays and the analysis on Sports Locker.

So here we are, less than 6 hours from kick-off and yet I can't seem to bring myself to do much trash talking (unlike the kids on a local radio station's "Toddlers Talking Trash" segment, which was pretty funny). The best I've been able to muster is this graphic that I put on my Facebook page:
Don't get me wrong. I WANT the Colts to win. I KNOW the Colts can win. I HOPE they will win. But I don't have a deep-seated loathing of the Saints that I do, say, of the Patriots. Trust me, if the Patsies and their pretty boy Tom Brady were playing, I'd have plenty to say.

But it's the Saints. They hail from a very cool city. They don't have anyone on the team who is (at least to my knowledge) arrogant or sporting a God complex. They aren't cheaters. They have a quarterback who cut his football teeth in college on Indiana soil.

So, I don't have a lot to say about the Colts opponents tonight. Sure, I did say in response to someone who wondered which team Archie Manning, former Saints player and father of Colts QB Peyton Manning, would be rooting for: Blood is thicker than gumbo.

But that and my little Facebook graphic is about all I've got. Go Colts!

2 comments:

babybeezymom said...

well said... but, GO COLTS!

Cat said...

It was a well-played game. I'm a Saints fan, but if nothing else we can bond over our shared feelings on the Pats!