Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, January 2, 2011

What I learned on New Year's Eve

We spent New Year's Eve at my parents' house with all my siblings and their families. There were 22 of us together in all -- 23 if you count my brother's giant, 100+-pound greater Swiss mountain dog. It was the best New Year's Eve I've had in a long time.

We kept it simple, ordering pizza for dinner and enjoying snacks that each of us pitched in for. We celebrated Christmas, creating a frenzied storm of flying wrapping paper and delighted squeals. All the grandkids (10 of them) got Pillow Pets. All the married kids got very cool family name plaques from AlphaPics.

There were multiple "puppet" shows (starring the Pillow Pets) put on by the nieces and nephews, complete with paper "tickits," and all the grown-ups dutifully watched and applauded. We played Catch Phrase and "Three Truths and a Lie."

The latter was quite fun. I learned all sorts of things about my siblings and in-laws that I didn't know before. Of course, the real dirt was divulged later in the evening, after the clock had struck midnight and a few folks were either a wee bit tipsy or just punch-drunk tired.

It was a fun, joyful -- and educational -- way to celebrate the New Year.

This is what I learned:
  1. Laughing until you literally wet your pants is hereditary (no, it wasn't me), as is staying up until all hours of the night (guilty for that one).
  2. If you're going to have 22 people and 1 very large dog in one house for a long period of time, bring plenty of air freshener -- and GasX.
  3. It's not just my husband who is happy to help -- if asked -- but who otherwise is happy to sit on the couch.
  4. The amount of noise generated by 10 kids is frighteningly huge.
  5. I am still my mother's favorite. Ok, she didn't come right out and say that, but I know that's what she meant when she said, "Please pass the pizza."
  6. Just as married couples shouldn't hang wallpaper together, they also shouldn't be on the same Catch Phrase team. And for the record, dear, I still don't think "Arms Blown Out of Proportion" was just a bad guess.
  7. There are dogs in the world who don't steal food from the table.
  8. Almost-14-year-old-girls will still play with Barbies given the opportunity (and no friends who are watching).
  9. It's a good idea to do a head-count every once in a while.
  10. The warmth of family togetherness with 22 people in one house lasts approximately 24.5 hours.
All-in-all, it was a great way to finish the old year and ring in the new. How did you greet 2011?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, one of the best NYE's I've had in a very, very long time - actually ever probably!

And about those secrets slipped in the late night hours - thanks for letting them remain secrets for the next year..or YEARS to come!

Anonymous said...

There are dogs in the world who don't steal food from the table.

Is that even possible? ;)

When I was younger our family used to get together to celebrate New Year's Eve. It was always so much fun. Tons of cousins to play with.

Now? Not so much. I miss that. :(