Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Going pink

I know that I'm usually all about Going Red for women, but today I want to show a little love those who will be going pink for the 20th Annual Indianapolis Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. The race to support breast cancer research and those battling the disease will take place on Saturday. I'll be in Fort Wayne for the Vera Bradley sale, so I won't be able to attend. But:
  • my friend Liz from Eternal Lizdom will be running,
  • fellow FitCity Mom blogger Kelly Young is in charge of the whole shibang, (Woohoo! Go Kelly!) and
  • a former college classmate, Brenda Bishop, asked if I would post an article about what some folks in her office are doing to support this year's race -- and the women in their office who are breast cancer survivors.
I decided one way to show my support would be to give up a little blog space for Brenda's post. So, without further ado...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

For nearly 140 professors, staff and friends of the Kelley School of Business Indianapolis(located on the IUPUI campus), the central Indiana Race for the Cure is about more than raising money for breast cancer research and support services. It’s an opportunity to help carry the weight of a disease that punches you in the stomach and turns your life upside down.

Photobucket

The 2011 Kelley Indianapolis team walks in honor of five faculty and staff members, including Barb Hassell and Angie Meyer, who are celebrating life and encouraging women of all ages to engage in breast health screenings.

“When I was diagnosed with cancer, I felt like someone hit me in the stomach. It took some time, but now I can hear the word cancer and not lose my breath,” says Hassell, a clinical associate professor of management at Kelley. “Having a network of supporters, even 15 years after my diagnosis and recovery, makes all the difference.”

Race for the Cure is a platform for tens of thousands to make a difference; it’s also a celebration of faith, perseverance and life.

“Shortly after my breast cancer surgery in February 2009, I learned I didn’t have to undergo chemotherapy nor radiation,” says Meyer. “I was feeling very blessed and wanted to celebrate. I had heard how Race for the Cure is a celebration, so I invited my family, friends and co-workers to join the Kelley Indianapolis team.”

Meyer, who is associate director of Kelley’s Career Planning Office, knows personally how fundraising through Race for the Cure impacts women and men diagnosed with breast cancer. Because of research conducted five years before her diagnosis, doctors discovered a better way to treat her kind of cancer.

“Had I been diagnosed in 2004, it’s likely I would have had chemo in addition to surgery. It’s amazing how far breast cancer treatment is advancing because of research. Maybe in the next five years, a woman with breast cancer won’t have to endure surgery,” she says.

By walking, by running or even by sleeping in for a cure, the Kelley School of Business Indianapolis is raising money and raising hope for breast cancer research and support services.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

If you've never participated in the Race for the Cure, I recommend going to see the Pink Parade of Survivors. Don't forget the Kleenex. If you aren't in Indianapolis, you can find a Race for the Cure in your area by clicking here.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Amy,
THANK YOU! I have to brag on my mom and sister - they've been co-chairs of the Survivor's Village for more than 10 years now! Rain or shine (please pray for shine!), we'll be there to celebrate the survivors on Saturday!

Amy said...

Amy, that's so cool! How did they get involved?

Eternal Lizdom said...

The Survivors' Parade is what really got me choked up last year. There was a mom who was carrying her son and holding hands with her daughter and the kids looked to be the same age as my own kids and... it chokes me up even now to think of those kids facing the possibility of growing up without their mom. And then it makes me think of the family that got me involved in all of this in the first place- the Graddy Family. Michele lost her battle but I'm fortunate to still be connected to her husband and kids. And now, almost 2 years later, her husband has started coming to my church.

Anyway- I'll be there bright and early tomorrow morning!!

Kristin - The Goat said...

I know how it is to be passionate about a cause. In our group it's organ donation and organ transplant because my husband had a liver transplant.

It's so nice that you gave some blogging space for a great cause.

*********
You are a no-reply blogger, so I couldn't answer your questions via email. I don't actually like hanging out at the beach, so I used to never go - maybe once a year for a few minutes or if a friend came into town. Now that I take more photos, I go to the beach at least once a month to take pictures. I'm usually the one dressed in long pants, tennis shoes and t-shirt LOL

I have family in Indy - beautiful place!

Kristin - The Goat