Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Oh bunny...

Today was a busy day. Soccer game, church decorating, birthday party and laundry, laundry, laundry. It was so busy that by 7pm, we still hadn't colored Easter eggs or even gotten the baskets out yet.

Robbie was getting a little impatient to get the festivities going, so he brought the baskets out and asked if we had Easter grass. I said, yes. "It's in a bag under my bedroom window. You can go upstairs and get it. It's by the windows."

There was a small part of me that thought maybe sending him upstairs was a bad idea. But most of me wasn't really paying attention. Until...he came downstairs with the Easter Bunny's stash that was NOT under my window, but was hidden (or so I thought) in my closet.

The bag of candy was mostly still sealed up. But Robbie was waving one of the Nerf guns I'd bought (because nothing says "Christ is risen" like plastic and foam warfare).

"Mom! Can I have this?"

Well, crud. Mike and I looked at each other and asked "now what?" I just took the discovered contraband and said "This is not for now."

Robbie wasn't so easily re-directed. A few minutes later, he handed me this paper:

Photobucket

Oh bunny!

I was able to quick-change the subject by suggesting a family viewing of the movie "Tangled," which was really enjoyable. When it was over, at 9:30pm, we still had eggs to color. So at 10pm, Mike took the kids to bed and I headed to Target to try to undo the bunny debacle.

At one point, I had Mighty Beans for Robbie, a Chewbacca t-shirt for Charlie, and a Nerf Gun for Annie in my basket. I think I circled the inside perimeter of Target at least 3 times, trying to decide what to do. 

I didn't really have the discretionary funds to buy new Easter gifts and the last thing we need in my house right now is more clothes. But the Nerf gun was going to have to make an appearance. So, I ended up getting the Nerf gun for Annie -- I decided not getting her one would leave her unfairly defenseless against her brothers. I opted to give Charlie the 3-pack of sugarless bubble gum I'd previously planned to split among all three of them. And a I picked up a box-tops-bearing box of fruit roll-ups (which we never buy) for Robbie.

The Nerf guns will make an appearance on the mantle as a gift from Mike & me. Everything else is from the bunny. And hopefully that will be the end of that.

I'm not so married to the idea of the bunny, but I do enjoy the mystique of Santa and I'm afraid that once the myth of the Easter Bunny is revealed, Santa won't be far behind. And in the instance of both holidays, the kids are very aware of the real significance of both occasions. 

So, Easter "crisis" averted. For now. Who knows what questions tomorrow will bring.

2 comments:

Ellen aka Ellie said...

I shall stay turned!

(And when my son realized there was no bunny, he did say, "And what does that mean for Santa?!" I know what you mean about the bunny gig, but Santa was great fun...)

Unknown said...

The letter is sweet - gotta keep that! I really try to down play the Easter bunny - we have always said the baskets are from Mom and Dad - but the girls still insist it's the Easter Bunny - - *sigh* Happy Easter!