Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, June 7, 2009

I did it (mostly).

I did it -- I managed more than a whole day without the internet. (Ok, I did sneak online on Mike's iPhone for a minute in the car today.)

I have to say that I am amazed at how often my mind went to, "Oh, I'll look that up online." From checking the weather to wondering what hours the bank is open to thinking about options for Charlie's birthday party, hopping online is really second nature for me.

Even my friend Beth called to ask me about basketball camp carpooling. Usually, we'd work in out via e-mail, but Beth said "I figured I'd better call since I know you're not checking your e-mail."

We went to Mike's parents for a quick visit to celebrate his birthday (which was yesterday). It was really freeing to be there without a laptop in tow. And when I was tired, I just went to bed. Instead of stopping to check my e-mail/visit Facebook/send a few Tweets before turning in for the night.

At brunch this morning, I was telling my in-laws about my self-imposed internet moratorium. Charlie suddenly got up, put his hand across his cheek so it extended from his ear to his mouth, and froze. I asked him what he was doing. He said "a cell phone pose." Get it? I said "self-imposed" and Charlie heard "cell phone pose!"

Anyway, I'm happy to be back online. The break, albeit brief, was good. But at least now I can easily figure out what tomorrow's weather will be.

5 comments:

Joanne said...

Amy -- I thought I would go crazy the last week on the cruise ship. We could use internet but it was 55 cents a minute --YIKES!!! So I just shut down my thoughts except on the occasions that I wanted desperately to remember something for my blog.
Glad to be back in cyber land and catching up with everyone.

Micah and Emily said...

Good for you Amy..although I can't say that I will ever be able to do that...so much of what we do anymore (work) depends on the good old internet and I love it!

Hope you and your cute family is doing well!

E

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

I do that every week...(well almost every week) when I work on the weekend! It is tough staying away though.

I love the convenience of being able to look up the weather, directions, the news, email, and countless other things just by picking up the iphone!

Joanie said...

I do the no internet thing every Sunday. John doesn't have it at his house.

Anonymous said...

I try not to get online too much during the weekend. It's hard not to though because you think, "I could look this up or I could look that up or I NEED to look this up to see what time..." It's never ending!