Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, June 4, 2009

If I'd only known...

Keepsake blog award

I've come to learn that things tend to make their way around the blogosphere -- stories, photos, and blog awards. Tonight Liz tagged me with the "Keepsake Blog Award" because she considers my blog (along with several others) to be a keeper. Awww! Thanks Liz!

The deal is that when you get tagged with this "Keepsake Blog Award," you have to post a funny or sweet keepsake that tells something about yourself and then pass the award on to 10 other bloggers that I think are keepers.

It took me a few minutes to come up with a story to share. But since my sister just had a baby, one from Charlie's newborn days comes to mind.

Charlie was probably about 2 months old. Annie was about 2-1/2. We were in the kids' bathroom, where I was giving Charlie a bath. I had the baby bath tub set inside the big bathtub and was leaning over the edge of the tub cooing at Charlie while running the soapy washcloth over his baby rolls.

Annie stood behind me and started brushing my hair. Now at this time in her life, Annie HATED having her hair brushed. It was a real ordeal. So when she started brushing mine, I took the opportunity to tell her how nice it felt. How it was such a treat to have my hair brushed.

As all this was going on, I took in the scene. Here I was lovingly tending to my newborn while engaging my 2-year-old in a teachable moment and I felt like a great mom. Truthfully, I was basking in the glow of motherhood.

This went on for a few minutes. Charlie was content and Annie kept brushing. I turned slightly to grab the hooded towel (oh, I miss those things!) for Charlie when, for the first time, I got a look at Annie.

SHE WAS BRUSHING MY HAIR WITH THE TOILET BOWL BRUSH!

"No! Yucky! Yuck! Yuck!" I screamed, scooping Charlie up as fast as I could.

Annie, sensing trouble, took off running down the hall waving the toilet bowl brush high overhead.

I ran after her, wet, slippery Charlie tucked under my arm. The basking was definitely over.

Looking back, I should have known the idyllic moments in the bathroom that I felt so glowing about were too good to be true. Because, really, my experience of motherhood has mostly been about running, hollering and having a good story to tell at the end.

Want to read more blogs that are keepers? Check out these:

Recipe for Chaos
-- Single mom, 4 boys, you know somethin' funny's goin' on there!

Barnes Family Blog -- My sister's new blog (not the one who just had the baby)

Dragonfly -- I'm dying to know how tall she is -- and how tall her dh is!

Fairies'N'Firecrackers -- formerly known as Junior Mints and Reese's

I Got Something More -- She's a mom who just graduated from college after 7 years! Give her some love

Sanibel Toot's Lazy Days -- This is what I want to do when I grow up.

The Cat in the Hat and Things 1 Through 4 -- She'll make you think. Try it, it doesn't hurt!

Incredible Unorganized Mom -- Anyone who can call themselves that is a friend of mine.

Rainbow Sherbet
-- A new blog I found and thought was worth a try.

Back to Square One -- Written by one of my sorority sisters. Anchors away!

8 comments:

Mel said...

Ok, I about peed my pants! That is a memory to hold on to!

Thanks for the love, btw :)

Eternal Lizdom said...

Oh that is funny, funny, funny!! I laughed out loud at my desk!!

Annie said...

Hilarious!!! Thanks for the love! :)

Marine Wife said...

Aw, you should've just asked. I'm 5'4" (not exactly a midget but I look like one in the picture, I know) and Stretch is 6'8". And no, that's not a typo, he really is 6'8". I expect both girls will be taller than me by middle school. I'll be like that mother in the beginning of Mary Poppins who's tiny and has 2
Amazon daughters that dwarf her. *sigh*

Strangely my word verification is "psych" but I'm telling the truth...really!

Joanie said...

I knew that story was going somewhere but using a toilet brush was not one of my thoughts. I thought you were going to say she got the hairbrush stuck in your hair. The toilet brush is far far funnier!!! And THAT, my dear friend, Amy is why this story is a KEEPER!
Congrats on your award!

Anonymous said...

Hilarious story! I'm sure your hair looked lovely!

And thanks for the blog Love!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Amy!!! :-D

Joanne said...

That was hilarious and definitely a keeper. Thanks for the links to the other blogs.