Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, August 17, 2009

Off on the right foot

New shoes

School starts here this week. I have one kid who was crazy excited to go back (Annie), one who was upset that he doesn't start until Wednesday (Robbie) and one who was in denial that summer is over (Charlie).

The first day was pretty uneventful, if you ignore the fact that Annie lost her class schedule before we got to school and Charlie couldn't find his scissors. I wasn't really bothered by either fact. I figure it's best to let the teachers know right up front what they're dealing with.

Robbie and I had a meeting with his teacher and her assistant in the afternoon. He walked in and announced "I want to have no hair!" Well, how's that for an intro? I guess he was still stuck on the fact that when he got his haircut yesterday, I wouldn't let him be bald. A #2 is short enough, thanks.

I filled out the classroom volunteer form.

"Can you help out in the classroom during the week?" Occasionally.

"Can you drive on field trips?" Depends on where your going. Being on my third kindergarten kid (and my fourth time through kindergarten), I know to say no to the Children's Museum and the zoo trips.

"Would you like be the room parent?" Abso-fricken-lutely not! Been sucked into that one on about five occasions and I am officially retired as a room parent.

I'll help on 100s Day, do vision screening, read books to the class and even do the occasional recess duty. But no way will I agree to being room parent again. Give that job to someone whose first child is in kindergarten.

When Robbie and I got home from our meeting at school, Annie couldn't wait to tell me about her day. How the teacher she was afraid of is really cool, but also unforgiving, as evidenced by her reaction to two kids who came to school late today. How the new schedule has her watching the clock so she can leave science early to get to an extended math class (I'm still not sure how that's going to work.) And how the new girl is actually someone she used to play soccer with.

Charlie -- remember, he's in denial -- didn't say anything about school. So after about an hour, I asked him, "So, Charlie, did anything special happen to you today?"

"Um, nope," he said.

"Nothing? Like, how about, was it the first day of school or anything?"

(Light bulb!) "Oh yeah!"

His report was short and sweet: Mr. L is funny.

When I asked who was in his class, he rattled off the names of about five girls, all of whom sit near him. I think I might be raising a ladies man.

I'll be interested to see what Robbie has to say about his second first day of kindergarten. Hopefully, a new classroom and a new teacher will make it exciting enough.

For me, if we can make it through the week with no one losing his (or her) lunchbox, that will be excitement enough.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Excellent. LOL
I learned (while still on the teaching end) that field trips are just exhausting. I don't have too much interest in joining those if I'll be on charge of more than just my kid.

I can't believe it's already back-to-school time. I am the one in denial over here.
I hope they continue to have such a good first week!

Momza said...

HA! Love the "teachers should know up front what they're dealing with" --so funny.
Oh and Boofus lost his lunchbox BEFORE he went to school...he'd washed it out and laid it on the deck the night before and it blew off over night. I had no idea he'd done that...but he did find it afterschool in the yard.
And I totally agree with you on the "room mom"...I'd rather have my eyes poked out!

Nate's Mom said...

I could totally have written most of this post. Can I just cut and paste it and change the names? lol. I'm on number 4, in first grade this year. No room parent for me either, lol.

Your shoe pic reminded me. Shawn's school shoes are a size 11. But, he is also 6'1" (I think, maybe 6'2") I grow them tall and thin...not sure how.

Sheri in CA