Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Overwhelmed

This was the status update I posted on my Facebook page yesterday:

The convergence of a zillion deadlines at work and the start of school for the kids just might push me over the edge.

I have three -- wait, four -- big projects at work that have drop dead August deadlines. The kids go back to school in less than two weeks.

I feel like there is so much we didn't do this summer and I am finding it hard to find a day to take off to do something fun so that when they sit down in their classrooms to write the inevitable "What I did on my summer vacation" essay, they'll say something more than "I did chores and watched television."

(To be fair to myself, they did swim a lot and we did a few, small "staycation" activities. But I'm having a moment, so just let me go with it, will ya?)

Ok. I realize that wallowing in a moment of whining and self-pity only goes so far.
Someone replied to my Facebook post: "Take a deep breath....or have a cocktail!"

Since it's only 7:45am and I have no champagne or OJ in the house, I'm going with the deep breath route and trying to count my blessings. So here's my list of 10 good things that, overwhelmed or not, make me smile:
  1. My nephew is being baptized on Sunday and we'll be together with all my siblings, their spouses and their children.
  2. Back-to-school means back to Friday morning "therapy" with girlfriends at Panera.
  3. I parked my car in the garage last night, which is significant because two days ago that wouldn't have been possible. But Mike busted his hump and cleaned it out.
  4. Next week, I'll be attending Blog Indiana and get to spend 2 whole days with other blog-lovin' nerds.
  5. McDonald's large drinks are still only $1.
  6. Dairy Queen chocolate dipped cones are less than $2.
  7. All these crazy deadlines mean that I have a job at a time when many do not.
  8. I got on the scale yesterday for the first time in a long time and I didn't weigh any more than I had previously. Again, a huge accomplishment, especially given #6 above.
  9. My cleaning lady will be back on August 31. We'd loaned her out for the summer to some friends b/c I couldn't afford to pay babysitters and Jane.
  10. Our good friend Mary came to visit last night. Her visits always leave me laughing.
Think I might need to print out this list and tape it up in a few strategic places, so when I'm wigging out of the next couple of weeks I can have some perspective. And if that doesn't work, I'll probably go with the cocktail.

7 comments:

Sharon said...

Oh gosh, I hear ya on the stress. Did you see my Twitter updates yesterday? Scary.

Counting your blessings is always a good thing, but a thing I don't do nearly enough.

Darn it that I didn't know about DQ. Sadly we don't have one too close to us.

Other things to be happy about? Going back to school time means season premiers are around the corner. Sad that I note tv things?! LOL

Momza said...

Counting my blessings, as you know, saves my children's lives nearly every week, and my sanity. It puts things into proper perspective.
I'm excited for school to start in 11 days...but wishing we crammed more excursions in too. We have 2 more things planned: a trip to Six Flags in Denver
and another camping trip next weekend.
The last camping trip will be in September to RMNP to see the elk bugle again...my favorite trip of all.
Oh, and props to MIke for cleaning out the Garage so you can park your car in there...I can only wish!

Joanne said...

Excellent list - should do one for myself. Glad your cleaning lady is coming back. I know my lady is suffering - first luxury everyone is dropping and she can no longer make ends meet. I will NEVER give her up. Cool that you were able to loan her out and bring her back.

varangianguard said...

I would introduce myself at Blog Indiana, but I'm more of a geek (than a nerd) and I'll be down at the Convention Center spending my money in a lame attempt to bail out the CIB while at GenCon. Two years in a row on the same weekend. Go figure.

Amy said...

@varangianguard Oh shoot! You are most mysterious commenter, wish you were gonna be at Blog Indiana. Do you have a blog too? There's not one listed on your profile.

As far as the GenCon nerd factor, I myself would never go, but Mike has been more than once. :)

Nate's Mom said...

Hang in the Amy! You are so not alone. I'm looking forward to school starting. But, this year is going to be INSANE! So much going on. We can count on each other to understand :-) Keep blogging.

Sheri in CA

varangianguard said...

No, I don't have my own blog, yet. I'm just a pigeon poster. I poop (er, I mean post) on other peoples' blogs who interest me. You can thank Ruth Holladay for the reference there.

Mainly, I lurk about local political blogs, but your blog is so entertainingly written that I visit here often for a lighter perspective. :)