Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, January 2, 2012

It's just a number

I could be talking about age. Or weight. But today, I'm talking about the year. 2012 is just a number. Just one more than 2011. I refuse to believe it's anything more than that.

Because if I heap a load of importance on the transition of one year into another, then I start getting overwhelmed with self-imposed "I should's," "I need to's" and "I must's." If the turning of the calendar is of real significance, then I start fretting about what I did or didn't do in 2011. I start becoming uneasy with what this new year might have in store for me.

I'm not sticking my head in the sand. Two days ago, I needed to stop eating so much and start exercising more. Two weeks ago, home organization was not one of my better qualities. Two months ago, I was challenged to look outside myself and towards others more often. And today, I still do.

But I'm not looking to make a major statement about goals and deadlines and resolutions just because I'll be writing a different date on my checks.

Call it denial. Call it stubbornness. I'll just call it a number and move ahead one day at a time.

2 comments:

Ellen aka Ellie said...

Last year I made resolutions on my blog. I don't know that I'd ever done that before. I went back and checked, and found I kept some, not others.

So this year, I thought about generalities. Yeah, I was spurned on to reflect a bit by others' posts and the quiet that surrounded me (I am rarely home alone).

My new year begins every August when I am faced with a new class with new gifts and issues.

They test my resolve!

Keep on with your one day at a time. I am really doing the same.

Lisaw said...

So you're not giving up Diet Coke? I'm not giving up Coke either. But I did give up my day job!! Bring on the blogging.

:)
Lisa