Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Is it all downhill after "I do?"

R2D2

I have six kids in my house right now -- twice as many as I am accustomed to. Four of whom are playing "Colonial War," which apparently involves running around the house shooting each other, careening dangerously close to the brick fireplace, and falling with a forceful thud when they've been hit. And two silly pre-teen girls who insist on talking to each other like dopey sounding cartoon characters.

So what's a mom to do but find solace in Facebook. Ordinarily, I visit Facebook to update my status, post a blog link and maybe comment on one or two other people's walls. But today, while I was trying to stay visible enough that the kids wouldn't run completely wild, yet removed enough to maintain my sanity, I ventured beyond the first two or three updates and read on down the page.

That's how I came to ask myself the question, "does romance really go downhill after the 'I do's?'"

I saw that my brother-in-law had officially declared himself "in a relationship" with the woman of his current dreams. Following the link to her page (she'll be sorry she friended me now), I saw that he had given her several virtual hugs -- from the all-natural hug to the sunny hug, his affection for her is clearly spelled out on her Facebook page.

"Hmmm..." I thought to myself, "I wonder what Mike has sent me?"

Usually, I let all those Facebook requests and invitations collect in the pending box on my page. Then when I've got a bunch of them waiting there for me, I ignore them all in one fell swoop. What if I've been unknowingly deleting his tokens of affection?

So I opened my Facebook page and searched all those waiting invitations. Nope, no hugs for me from my beloved. Instead, what was there awaiting my acceptance was an invitation to join him in Mafia wars and an R2D2 icon. I thought about that for a while.

Is that evidence that all the romance is gone? Perhaps. Or, after all these years of marriage, maybe I can recognize words like "Mafia" and "Star Wars" as part of my husband's language of love.

4 comments:

Joanie said...

Oh mafia wars is definitely his declaration of love! He could have completely ignored you, but he didn't!

Marty said...

I agree with Joanie.

It's the little things that show love after you've been married for a while. Look for the little things.

Anonymous said...

It was nice that he even lets you be on his friends list. That means you can trust him with the cyber vixens that will stalk him from Texas Hold 'Em. He knows you're watching. LOL. Does he have the Married to link on his profile? I agree with the other girls. Who wants the virtual hug in lieu of the real one? At least he wanted you as back up in his game.
Love your blog!

Anonymous said...

LOL @ recipeforchaos.

diane