Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

If I won the lottery

I was with some women from church tonight and somehow the conversation led me to speculate what I would do with the money if I ever won the lottery. So I thought about it more and decided to share it here.

10 Things I Would Do if I Won the Lottery
  1. Pay off those pesky (and plentiful) bills.
  2. Set aside college money for each of my kids.
  3. Buy my parents a new car.
  4. Repaint & re-carpet every room of our house.
  5. Donate money to St. John's Episcopal Church for new couches, paint and carpet for the rooms where the postpartum depression support group meets. Seriously, those rooms are enough to make you depressed (but it's totally cool they allow the group to meet there!).
  6. Take my kids to Disney World.
  7. Go to Italy and Greece with Mike.
  8. Take Annie to New York City to see "Wicked."
  9. Anonymously donate money to the school for a scholarship fund for kids with special needs.
  10. Put some away for a comfortable retirement.
How about you? What would you do if you won the lottery?

While you think about it, enjoy The Barenaked Ladies' song "If I Had a Million Dollars."


4 comments:

Mel said...

Wow! What would I do...I have thought about this one...

1. Give 1/4 right off the top to a variety of charities...still to be determined.

2. Pay off bills...all of them...forever...

3. Take a much needed vacation with my family somewhere relaxing...like Hawaii

4. Buy property in Montana...and build a house with a library and a barn with arena.

5. Finally own a dependable vehicle that my husband will never have to fix himself.

6. Set up college funds for my kids and nieces and nephews

7. Start a non-profit to help families whose children have cancer pay for important necessities like electricity, phone, groceries, relocation expenses, deposits on apartments and also financial assistance for the first 2 years off treatment.

Hmmm...I think I would want to do more good things...not sure exactly what yet...but, should I ever win the lottery...I'm certain I will make thinking of them my top priority!

Sharon said...

Great song! We saw them in concert in college. They out on a GREAT live show.

My list is very similar to yours. I think my charity would be to set up an actual GOOD home for the mentally ill. That's always heavy in my heart.

Do you play the lottery?

Amy said...

@Sharon -- See, that's my problem. I can't win the lottery if I don't play the lottery. But I don't. Well, a couple of summers ago I got hooked on a Jetsons scratch off game. And occasionally if the jackpot is good and I'm actually in the gas station (as opposed to paying at the pump), I'll buy a ticket. But then I forget to check my #s. Who knows, maybe I've already won a million dollars and am totally unaware of it?!

Beth Zimmerman said...

You inspired me. :)

http://bethaworkinprogress.blogspot.com/2009/07/if-i-won-lottery.html