Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, March 8, 2010

Plan A-1/2

Mike's in recovery now. The surgeon came out and told me they made an incision (so the doc says, I haven't seen him yet) from the bottom of the knee up to about mid-thigh. The doc said the reason he couldn't drain much is that is was really mostly grayish clots of tissue. They are sending that out to pathology. There doesn't look to be infection and his WBC is normal. That's the good news.

The bad news (here's where Plan A-1/2 comes in) is that they only temporarily closed up the leg, are going to keep him in the hospital on IV antibiotics and then on Wednesday take him back to the OR to repeat the procedure.

The surgeon said he can put weight on it as soon as he can tolerate it, but did say because of the length and depth of the incision, he's gonna be hurting for a while. No known cause and no real understanding if it will come back. But they are hoping with the double procedure and the drain he has right now, it won't.

Thanking God it's not Plan B, which involved a PICC line and SIX WEEKS of IV antibiotics at home. And very sorry to my sister Shelley for telling you that Plan B was amputation. Sick and twisted, I know, but in this situation, I'm trying find humor where I can.

9 comments:

beth said...

UGH! Prayers to you and yours!

Joanne said...

You gotta laugh when you can Amy. Lets hope this is the final procedure and that Mike makes a full recovery very soon!!!

Beth Zimmerman said...

I don't know about the rest of the world bu I kind of assumed (from the last post) that Plan B was amputation (which given my current state I did NOT want to hear)! So glad it wasn't that! I bet your sister wishes she was close enough to slap you on the back of the head!

I'd bring you a Margarita if I was closer! Hang in there!

Eternal Lizdom said...

Friends of mine went trhough Plan B. Not fun but all is ok now.

Praying for you all... let me know if I can do anything to help out with you or the family.

Micah and Emily said...

Best of luck with everything Amy! You have our thoughts, prayers, and good energy.

E

Beth said...

So sorry you guys have to go through all this! Praying this all works.

I've been stuck with a PICC line for months at a time during my pregnancies...I'll pray he isn't stuck with it but I will tell you that you guys can make it through that.

Linda said...

You guys are in my prayers. Sorry you are having such a lot of challenges lately.

Linda in Winnipeg

Anonymous said...

i had the same plan b assumptions.

it really sucks that they can't even figure out what it really is. not knowing is sometimes harder. hope they get everything figured out for you.

diane
toronto, on

Traci said...

Glad it's not Plan B! I wish him a healthy happy leg ASAP!

:-)
Traci