Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Busted!



We're on a mini-vacation for the holiday weekend with my in-laws who were kind enough to invite us and pay for the hotel rooms. They even got us an adjoining room with the kids so we had space to spread out instead of cramming 5 people -- two of us who take up significant real estate -- into two queen size beds.

After we checked in and got into our rooms, I gave the kids (and Mike!) the speech about no one orders a movie on TV, no one calls room service (Annie's favorite thing to do), and no one even thinks about touching the food/drink that's in the stocked fridge.

Well, at about 1:00am, I woke up. I laid in the bed and tried to fall back to sleep for about 30 minutes, but no luck. And I realized I was hungry.

"Fall back to sleep and it'll be breakfast in no time," I tried to tell myself.

Myself didn't listen.

So I got up and tried to eat a cold piece of garlic toast from dinner -- stale and with the butter solidified like a greasy paste on top. Nasty.

I got online to distract myself from the gnawing in my stomach. But let's face it, I am human. I am a human with miserable will power. It's not my fault the bag of peanut M&Ms was calling me from the mini fridge. Ok, so it's my fault that I answered, but I'd rather play the victim in this scenario.

After polishing off the probably $6 bag of M&Ms (couldn't find a price list anywhere -- not a good sign), I was very thirsty. Now, I could have had a glass of water from the bathroom sink. But I kind of have a personal policy against drinking hotel bathroom sink water (weird, I know). And having already been tempted by and succumbing to the allure of the mini fridge, I gave in to the Diet Coke. Probably another $4.

Oh, and the internet I'm using to write this post? $10/day.

I do feel a wee bit guilty for setting an expectation for my family and totally disregarding it myself. Guess I'll have to play the "do as I say and not as I do card."

And get my in-laws a really nice Christmas present.

4 comments:

Mike Magan said...

don't worry I hit the mini-fridge too

Unknown said...

Amy:
I love your post! I am a Diet Coke junkie myself. If you will send me your email and/or the names of the donors you worked w/, I will hook you up for the Auction.

Thanks again!
Valerie Horvath

Anonymous said...

Amy, you are too funny! I'm loving reading your blogs! And looky there, (Mike!) hit the mini-fridge too. The guilt has been reliquished.

Anonymous said...

Not only will I not drink water out of the bathroom sink -- but I won't drink out of the glasses they leave in the room! I've seen far to many hidden camera investigations, thank you very much!