Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, March 5, 2011

I was such a nerd

When I was growing up, I was such a nerd. The oldest of four kids, and born to a nerdy (but lovable) mother, I didn't have anyone to show me how the cool kids did things. But I wasn't really aware of how nerdy I was. It's only now that I look back on myself as a child that I can see that I was probably the definition of square.
  1. I walked to the library every week and brought home a dozen or so books to read.
  2. I dressed up as a dictionary for Halloween one year.
  3. When the local talk radio station switched to a Top 40 format, I called to complain.
  4. I fell in love with the song "Jack and Diane" by John Mellencamp in 1984 -- two years after it was released. 
  5. Along with two other friends, I started an "exclusive" vocabulary club. We were the only members.
This past Thursday night I went out with some girlfriends to a local Mexican restaurant. The booths each had this chicken head carved into them:

Photobucket
It immediately reminded me of Famous Recipe Fried Chicken. My family only ate Famous Recipe a few times a year. It was our go-to food for family reunions. Seeing the chicken reminded me of the last time I set foot in a Famous Recipe. I was probably about 12 years old.
We were on our way to the reunion. We stopped to get the chicken and I got out of the car to go into the restaurant with my mom. 
I was wearing this way cool shirt that I'd gotten out of a hand-me-down bag from some relatives. It was polyester and looked like it was a quilted pattern of reds, yellows, blues. I remember plaid and some white flowers on it, I think. It buttoned down the front. I think I wore it with denim shorts. I LOVED that shirt. 

That is, until we walked into the restaurant and walked up to the counter. The high schoolers working behind the counter were all trying very hard to stifle their laughter as they took our order. I didn't immediately see what they were laughing out. But then I saw it:

My new-to-me, colorful, patterned favorite shirt was really a Famous Recipe Chicken uniform!

7 comments:

kimybeee said...

oh my amy, if that didn't scream nerd, nothing would!

CWMartin said...

OUCH!

Sherry (City Chic On A Farm) said...

Hey Amy thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving some comment love! Looking forward to seeing you at Bloggy Conference!!

Us Nerds must stick together, because I was one too, but mainly due to my low self esteem and unworthy feelings. My heart understands the memories of bad things that happened as kids. Mine was a question from a boy that liked to tease me in 6th grade, "Are you a boy or a girl." Ever since then I've permed my hair and tried my hardest to look like a chic. I'm now embracing the Nerd in me because I'm a computer geek at heart and I found my passion in blogging just as it seems you have too. ;)

Again looking forward to seeing you at Bloggy Conference! No a loyal follower of yours! ;)

Ryan R. said...

Amy, this story is lacking without a picture of that fine sounding shirt!!!

Amy's Mom said...

Amy- Why don't I remember that event? I do remember getting Chicken at Famous Recipe for family reunions, but I don't remember that shirt! But I'm sure you looked so cute in it! Dad and I still love you, nerdy or not.

Anonymous said...

did your vocabulary club make up its own language? my best friend and i made up our own "code" language that had absolutely no rhyme, reason, or logic to it whatsoever. how we were supposed to remember what everything meant? LOL

Amy said...

@hotmess -- Nope. We had a book, I think. It was small and white, if I remember right. We would memorize words from the book. Anyone who wanted to be in the club had to know the meanings of the words. I don't recall anyone else actually wanting to join.