Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Not many things can get me teary-eyed

But today I was. As I pulled up into the driveway, the garage door opened and Robbie was putting a bike helmet on. I asked him what he was doing. He said "I'm going to practice riding my bike with no heel wheelers." (Translation: training wheels) It's actually a bike that Charlie has outgrown.

Last summer, we tried to get Robbie to ride without training wheels. He was 7 years old -- high time to be riding a two-wheeler. We tried once. He wobbled and fell and was finished with that nonsense. Anytime after that when I asked if he wanted to learn to ride a two-wheeler he would say, "No thank you. I really couldn't."

And I didn't push it. With Robbie's sensory processing issues, there are some things that just seem scarier to him and take longer for him to achieve. I figured riding without training wheels was one of those things.

A few days ago, however, lots of the neighbor kids were out riding bikes, including our little neighbor girl who is a year younger than Robbie. I don't know if he decided it looked like fun or if he didn't want to be upstaged by a girl, but he decided he wanted to try it.

I went out into the street with him, held the back of the seat and ran down the street as he pedaled. There were two problems with this scenario. First, anytime he felt the least bit unsure, he'd let go of the handle bars and turn to grab onto me, which meant the bike came crashing down on both of us. Second, after about two passes up the street, I was huffing and puffing almost as badly as I was on our hike up Stone Mountain.He finally gave up and went back to the bike with training wheels.

But he didn't give up for good because he was back at it today. And he was determined. He didn't want any help. Though he did want us to watch. Typically, Robbie gets easily frustrated and wants to quit the first time things don't go away. As I watched him try again and again to push off, get pedaling and stay upright, I couldn't have been more proud. That's when I started getting teary-eyed.

Then he rode halfway down the length of the street, stopped in front of me and waited for me to cheer, which I did -- wildly. He dropped the bike, came over to me and said, "Can I get a hug, Mom?"

That's when I lost it all together. This is my kid about whom I jokingly say my biggest hope is that he can move out of the house some day. This is my kid who I worry about making friends and succeeding in school. This is my kid who put his mind to something and achieved it today.

THIS is my kid:

20 comments:

Unknown said...

You catuptured this special milestone so beautifully! Yeah for your little guy! :)

Michelle said...

Hooray!!! What a proud moment!

Jen said...

I got teary eyed for your little guy and we haven't even met before! But we have something in common... my son (age 6.5) has PDD-NOS and sensory processing disorder.

What an awesome moment for your son and for you. You have so much to be proud of.

My sister, Debbie Mattingly, turned me onto your page and I'm so glad she did. You're a wonderful writer and I enjoy reading all of your posts.

kimybeee said...

love it - and glad you got to witness this milestone!!!!

Mike Magan said...

you nailed it - he was bound and determined to get on that bike and figure it out and he did!

Anonymous said...

These are the moments that enrich our lives and leave us with precious memories. Thanks for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! You're Robbie sounds like my Andrew. He's my least affectionate child. He doesn't want to learn to ride a bike. Actually, he does. But he has something called hypotonia which affects his muscles. Basically, their not as strong as ours. He's had OT, PT, and Speech to help overcome some of the problems. I keep telling my husband the hypotonia is one of the reasons he has a harder time learning to ride a bike. And he's 9. Sometimes he WANTS to learn. But then he gets frustrated and embarrassed and he walks away from it. I'm hoping he'll go back to it, if it ever gets warm around here again, and it will be even easier this time. SO glad you caught one of life's special moments.

Janet said...

Way to go Robbie!

Thanks for sharing.

Jessica McCoy said...

Woo Hoo!! Way to go Robbie!

BB said...

Oh, Amy, and now my eyes are brimming. What a precious story. I know how you feel with your sweet boy. We are blessed with lots of worries that is equaled by the joy when they overcome obstacles. Jack finally decided to ride his bike when he was 11. Now onto face washing without being reminded! ;)

Rebecca Cameron said...

What an awesome post, Amy! Made me get teary-eyed, too! :) Congratulations, Robbie! The hard part is over!

Joanne said...

That is so cool and how fabulous you have video of the event. I did a collage for my son's 30th birthday this past August -- the pictures included his very first day without training wheels - right up to last year on the podium in first place at one of his bike races.
Nothing holding Robbie back now!!!!

Shelley said...

Mad me teary, too! Way to go, Robbie! Wooooot!

Sharon said...

Woo-hoo!!!!! Go Robbie!!!! And congrats to him. :)

Yeah, you got me all lump-in-the-throat, too.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful moment for you both! Every goal is made one step at a time, and this was a huge step for Robbie AND you. Allowing him to fall and fail is just as hard for you (if not harder) as it is for him to get up and try again. I think root beer floats are in order or some kind of celebration this weekend!

Lisa said...

Darn Kid. Made me cry too.

Eternal Lizdom said...

I love this post!! Yay for Charlie and the whole family! I love these milestones!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Robbie! I probably would have had some sensory processing diagnosis if it was around when I was in school, everything seemed extremely overwhelming to me. We had to read Leo the Late bloomer many many times. Anyway I have vivid vivid memories of me trying to ride my two wheeler. Up until a few years ago those memories still haunted me until I was asking one of my students how her weekend of trying to learn how to ride a two wheeler went. In such a matter of fact tone she said "eh not too well" So way to go ROBBIE!

Anonymous said...

WTG Robbie!

Mrs4444 said...

This is fantastic, Amy! Just beautiful. I'm happy for you both. I loved this post and will be linking to it on Saturday.