As you might imagine, the combo of silver hair with a pregnant belly gets some notice. According to Julie, most people have been pretty polite about it. However, a few who have obviously not graduated from charm school could stand some training in things you should -- and should not -- say to old pregnant women.
So, in honor of Julie, Sarah Palin, my own mom who had her last baby at 43 and all older mothers --
Things you should NOT say to pregnant women of advanced maternal age:
- Do you know how old you will be when this kid graduates from high school? (As if Mom-to-be hasn't done the math herself!)
- Wow, it's so cool of you to offer to carry your daughter's baby!
- Guess you hadn't hit menopause yet after all.
- So which is worse? Arthritis or morning sickness?
- Boy, you're never gonna be an empty nester, are you?
- At least your stretch marks will be hidden by your wrinkles.
- Oh my gawd! Weren't your older kids totally grossed out that you still have sex?
- Obviously your husband is hot for older women!
- The silver in your hair reflects beautifully off your belly.
- Older and wiser is a great combo for motherhood.
- I'd be happy to babysit.
- I just read a study that said babies of older mothers are smarter/calmer/cuter (insert something positive) here.
- Glad to see you guys still have some passion in your marriage.
- Lucky you! You get to play with toys again!