Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, November 14, 2008

Little white lies of motherhood

One of the privileges that comes with motherhood is immunity from punishment for the little white lies we tell our children for their own good -- or for our own sanity.

White lies like "Don't cross your eyes like that; they'll freeze that way." Or "Honey, no one is going to notice that (unspoken: HUGE) zit on your nose." Or "No, I don't know where your 3-foot stuffed yellow chick is," which is technically not a lie because I have no way of knowing what happened to it after I dropped it off at the Goodwill store.

This morning, Charlie's class was leading the all-school Mass. He had a short petition to read, so I wanted to make sure that he didn't arrive at the podium looking like he'd just rolled out of bed. I wet his hair down and combed it into a squeaky clean schoolboy style, parted on the side.

"Mom, don't do that!" Charlie protested. "I like it all brushed forward."

"But this is the new style," I insisted. "This is how Nick Jonas wears his hair."

"Mom, Nick Jonas has curly hair."

Now, why I didn't just admit I was wrong and let it go, I'm not sure. I think it had something to do with not wanting to be the mom who lets her kid go to church looking like a ragamuffin.

"You haven't seen his new hairstyle?" I asked with mock surprise. "They straightened his hair and combed it to the side. This is totally hip."

And voila! He didn't argue with me anymore. And I only felt slightly guilty when I overheard him telling his friend Kevin about Nick Jonas' new look.

Shaved Jonas Bro

0 comments: