Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

'Bout sums it up

Saturday night we had a party to celebrate my 40th birthday. Initially, I didn't want a party. Then I thought ok, maybe something simple. Then it got BIG. But in the end, it turned out just right: family, friends, food, fun...

I was so amazed at some of the people who came to help me properly acknowledge this milestone. My aunt and uncle drove all the way from Cleveland! There were friends I've known for years and people I've been more recently lucky to meet. It felt a little bit like a wedding, trying to get around and visit with everyone and make sure they were having a good time.

The party was one of those events that left me enjoying the memories of it even as I woke up the next morning. And as I thought about it, I realized it captured a big part of who I am in just 4 words:

Diet Coke: (My sisters collaborated to create this Diet Coke "cake" made of 40 cans of the good stuff!)

Photobucket

A few other folks know me too well, too...
Photobucket

Chocolate: (This was just one of the representations of chocolate. There was another chocolate cake, ChocoVine wine, brownies and an entire gift pack of chocolate!)

Photobucket

Scrabble: (How did I miss this at Target? I LOVE Scrabble and I'm at Target all the time. But somehow I did, which made this beach towel Scrabble game a super fun surprise!)

Photobucket

For the record, we said "no gifts." But they were sure fun to receive anyway! But honestly, the most fun was just watching who was coming through the door and spending the evening with people I love being around.

If you want the recipe for my sister-in-law's Italian beef, which we served as mini-sandwiches, click on over to my FB fan page. She's a really good cook (unlike some of us) and you're gonna love it!

6 comments:

Eternal Lizdom said...

I do wish I could have been there!! It sounds like it was a great gathering of great people!

Unknown said...

Looks like a great party! I love the Diet Coke cake, so creative!

Beth Zimmerman said...

Sounds like an AWESOME party! I'm TOTALLY stealing that diet coke cake idea one of these days!

Anonymous said...

love the "cake". it's cute.

diane
toronto, on

Beth said...

I love, love, LOVE the diet coke cake! What a cute idea!

So glad to hear you enjoyed your day. Everyone deserves to be the guest of honor once in a while surrounded by the people you love!

Shelley said...

I'm so sorry we didn't get to come, but the gift I would have brought was a feverish virus with sore throat and stomach ache. Seemed a lot like strep throat, everyone in the family got it, but it went away in about 36 hours.

If you'd like to have it anyway, I could probably get it back for you. :)