Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, August 21, 2010

4th Frog's Fab 40 Fest

Photobucket

I've been thinking about how to celebrate my 40th birthday for quite some time now. If you read my earlier post today, you've seen that I tried the blue hair thing. But that didn't feel quite right. I've contemplated getting a tattoo, but I'm not convinced that's the way to go either.

I think part of the reason I've had trouble deciding how to mark this occasion is that I'm not lamenting the loss of my youth. I don't mind being 40. Mostly, I'm in a mild state of disbelief that I could have reached this milestone already.

It wasn't until Momza directed me to the best 40th birthday party ever, that I figured out how I wanted to celebrate. And I need your help!

You are hereby officially invited to attend 4th Frog's Fab 40 Fest. Participating is easy...

Step 1: Wherever you are, wherever you live, work or play, I invite you to perform at least one random act of kindness in honor of my birthday. Involve your family if you wish. You can tell the recipient why you're doing it. Or you can just think a good thought for me while you're doing it anonymously. Complete your task between now and Friday Sunday, August 29.

For some ideas, read the best 40th birthday party link above or consider one of these:
  1. Pick up the tab for someone's lunch or parking garage ticket.
  2. Go to the local cemetery and tend to a grave that looks like it doesn't get much attention.
  3. Thank a soldier in uniform for his or her service.
  4. Write a letter to a soldier or a prison inmate.
  5. Smile and offer some help to a mom who looks like she's frazzled by her kids at the mall.
  6. Donate boxed or canned goods to the local food pantry.
  7. Leave bowls of wrapped candy or fresh fruit in the waiting room of the ICU at a nearby hospital.
  8. Stop by a nursing home and visit with someone who doesn't often get visitors.
  9. Drop a bag of groceries to someone standing on the street corner begging for food or money.
  10. Set aside some time to specifically pray for someone who is struggling or sick or in trouble, maybe someone you see on the news. 
Step 2: Come back to this post or go to the 4th Frog Fan Page on Facebook and tell us what you did. What was the reaction of the recipient? How did you feel? If you feel ok about it, take some photos of your RAK. Post them on the 4th Frog Facebook page or e-mail them to me at 4thfrog70 (at) gmail (dot) com.

Step 3: On Friday, August 27, I'll conclude the 4th Frog's Fab 40 Fest by sharing some of the wonderful stories and pictures you share with me.

Optional Step 4: Share this on your blog, FB page or Twitter account. Link back to this post. This is one party where there can't be too many guests!

I've gotten birthday greetings from more than 50 people on Facebook alone (and its only noon), plus multiple phone calls and IRL well wishes. Think about all the good that could be done if even 1/2 of those people were to join in 4th Frog's Fab 40 Fest! I hope you'll be one of them.

9 comments:

Nancy said...

I just read the link and I have tears in my eyes. I will be doing something and letting them know it is a gift for your birthday! What a great way to celebrate!

Donna R. said...

What a great idea! I will definitely do something in honor of your birthday!

Momza said...

I knew you'd love it!!! Woohoo! Count me in!!!

Shauna said...

This is the best birthday idea EVER! I'm definitely going to participate! :) And I'll be linking to this blog post on my own blog!

Nate's Mom said...

This is awesome Amy. Count me in. I read the link above to and I think for the next kid birthday in the family we will get the helium tank and hand out balloons to kids leaving Walmart, etc. That would be so much fun for them and make other children smile too. Maybe, we'll this for your birthday. We'll see :-)

Anonymous said...

Great idea. Will update w/ a RAK.

Diane,
Toronto, ON

Joy For Your Journey said...

What fun to read this!! Thanks for visiting my blog and your comment. And I for sure am going to join your fun! I am out of state right now getting my daughter settled into college life. I am sure there will be a lot of things I can do randomly here!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!

Amy said...

Thanks ladies! Sheri (@Nate's Mom) - Did you do the balloon thing? Would love to hear how it went.

@Joy for Your Journey - Maybe I'll swing by the local college and do something, too!

Shauna said...

I don't know if I'm supposed to comment here or somewhere else to tell you what I did, but I'll comment here!

I tried really hard to help a lot of people, and be more neighborly (it's surprisingly difficult in the area I live. People are very hesitant to be friendly). Lots of people didn't even want my help!

I ended up helping the cleaning lady (of our building) clean out the garbage from the chute room. People just leave lots of trash there, so I helped her clean it out. It wasn't anything big, but she was very appreciative.